Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 08:05:53 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

as there are 3 labs,

Are they one airspace or separated. If the latter we only need the
information from one (as a starter).

They are seprated just like hospitals that were build at the time, seprated by a double swing door which is partly a fire door as it has the foam smoke inhibitor.

Ok, we are getting *somewhere* then ...

Sometimes it's left closed other times it's left open.

The outcome of that would be dependant if all 3 labs were heated
equally or not.

Today between about 3 and 6pm around 25 students walk through this door multiple times as they come and get things from my office

Brooms, dustpans and brushes etc? ;-)

they also have to open my office door. hey also have to enter and leave the lab via another similar set of swing doors.

Right ... well, whilst you may be able to cover all of those with the
calculations, it would be easier to just assume one lab and what
heating it would require if kept sealed and go from there. If the
heaters you have are calculated to not to be able to deal with the
static system, they are unlikely to deal with the dynamic one (unless
all the doors open to warmer places).

and my office was teh only place I tested the heaters.

That's of no use re calculating the heat loss from the labs. IDGAF how
cold you are.

Then how do you calculate the heat loss of a lab ?

You do the sums for that lab as a single entity and go from there.
ITRW, if most of the adjoining spaces are heated equally then it won't
make a lot of difference.

How do you account for the number of students movements.

They would have to deal with their own doctors for that mate. ;-(

2) A clue as to the size of any windows and the construction of all
the (especially external) surfaces.

Large triple glazed windows

that haven't been completely installed.

Ah, so, are we talking wind tunnel / tent then?

No.

No!?! rolls eyes

if yuo lok back in this thread you'll see I posted a video of the lab.

Whilst I'm sure that would be interesting, it won't help with the
measurements.

Or calculate it as from 3 weeks ago when we had NO windows.

I'm pretty sure your power supply wouldn't be up to that.

What power supply ?

The crap one to the lab.

snips links un viewed as it's not relevant to the calculations for
now

snip

Where TF have I said or suggested you have to deal with the *heating*
(especially gas).

from the link posted, forgotten already it's less than a few hours ago.

Ah, yes, of course, I'd expect you to go out and learn how to be a
plumber and heating engineer and get your Gas Safe cert, just to
calculate the heating required for your lab (that's 'not' by the way).
rolls eyes

All you are supposed to be doing so far is working
out the heat loss.

I can't do that too many variables.

See above. Start with the basic static situation for one lab and if
the energy required will overload your supply then you know it's a non
starter.

Suggestion, ask a student (or another adult) to roughly measure the
dimensions of one lab, the size of each window (or one and multiply it
if they are all pretty similar) and guess what the walls and floor /
ceiling are made from (and if they are cavity walls etc). Then you try
and type that back here, ok? *You* don't have to trouble your little
brain by trying to make sense of any of that. Do you think you can
manage that? ;-)

You have the vids work it out for yuorself.

Don't be a tw*t. How can I measure (or even be bothered to try) to
work out the sized from there. If you can't do it just say and we can
move on.

Remmeber that we have up to 200 students coming in and out of the swing doors every day, at night the cleaners come in.

See above.

snip more bs

You really haven't a clue have you.

No, I really hadn't realised just how stupid / awkward / literal /
ignorant people can be, especially when you are trying to help /
educate them!

such as sending working heaters back as faulty you mean that sort of help ?

Who on earth ever suggested that then dave? I think you are just lying
again (as I have black and white proof I didn't).

See, no matter how you try to twist and squirm and lie and BS, you
will not, not ever be able to get off the hook you keep throwing
yourself on.

Now, I really CGAF what you do, I'm just considering the students and
how we might be able to help them. I am not interested in your stupid
word games and pathetic attempts to evade the questions (so I suggest
you stop and just get on with trying to be a solution, not continuing
to be a problem).

Cheers, T i m