Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting and counterintuitive to me

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 05:02:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 9:00:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

have the plans in serialized form
for how to make a quick change gearbox for the Atlas 6 inch lathe. So
that's part of the planned improvements. It's a long term project but
I'm gonna want something new to play with when I retire.
Eric

You might stop by your lawn equipment dealer and see if they would let you pick through their scrap bin. The little riding lawn mowers have a 6 speed transmission that could supply the gears for the gear box. The local dealer has thrown out a couple of them.

Dan

I need specific gears Dan. But that's OK. I'm partway through a device
for making gear cutters. The device is called the "Eureka" and it
automatically backs off the gear teeth while the blank is spinning on
the lathe. I've done the hard part which is making the spindle with
the eccentric diameters. After I make the gear cutters making the
gears themselves will be easy. I've cut spur and worm gears before so
I know.
Eric