Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Tuesday, 5 December 2017 12:21:38 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 11:50:33 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 04/12/2017 13:14, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 December 2017 17:29:50 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/12/2017 15:58, whisky-dave wrote:

Just what we want in a cold lab, a heater that gives off less heat,
handy that perhaps you should apply for a job in admin, as I said
they have just sent us two new 1.5KW heaters after we;ve said that
teh 6 x 2KW and 3-4 1.5KW that have been on in the lab since 8:45an
have just managed to raise the temperature from 13C to 15C so how
much will two 1.5KW heaters do as far as raising the temprature ? We

You do the sums.

How show me how do do these 'sums'
I bet you can't do them, on fact suggesting such a thing proves you can't do them.

Someone already has but you chose to ignore them.

I don't think he ignored them outright but just doesn't have a clue
what it's all about so doesn't know where to start and how to apply
what he's been given. ;-(

you dumb ****er.

He is a dichotomy as on one hand he asks here for advice and help and
then blatantly throws it back. I wonder why he isn't more appreciated
where he works. ;-)

WRONG again .

But then you think a 2KW heater should run at 1300W or is it faulty ?

Anyway the simplest solution to your dilemma is switch the damn things
on on a Monday morning and leave them on until Friday evening.

I believe the power is turned off every night so not that much use.

Well they don't want us to leave those rads on overnight, well that;s what they said orginally now it is well you can leave some on. So some have been left on.

That way
the lab will remain warm even with these useless convection heaters

I'm not sure thy are useless, just not the best solution. However, I
understand they are the only permitted solution so are all there is to
work with.

That is true unless someone comes up with something else of course.

And if you read my origanls question it had NOTHING to do with heating the lab.

Given they are overpowered at the 2kW setting and dave not willing to
test them on the 1.3kW setting

there's NO 1.3KW setting.

(to see if they maintain a higher /
continuous average temperature and at a reduced peak current / rad),
I'm not sure he's actually getting the best out of what he has.

I don't give a ****.

Estates ****ed up and told us that all this work would be done by the end or august or begining of september.
Last month we werent even allowed to open the lab until 3pm because of thenoise level's in the lab exceed 80dB as there were demoloshing a concrete floor above us. We had to run the labs from 3pm to 7pm, resheduling others.

the huge running costs will come off some other budget.

I'm not sure the energy consumption *difference* between running 5 x
2kW fan heaters would be that much compared to 5 x 2kW oil filled rads
(assuming they were all running at 2kW etc)

So what would the cost be......

but I agree the warm up
would feel quicker with the fan heaters (if only because of heat
mixing and lower stratification).

Pity they were banned from being used years ago and that we were supplied with the oil filled radiators, we werent; asked what we wanted or how many.
The lab manger gave an unlimantium and said if we can;t getb the lab up to 16C as the factory act 1992 section 7 states, then we will close the lab.
The studetns will then really start complaining and then managment will have to explain who ****ed up with the building plans.