Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky micky is offline

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:45:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 11:35:37 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton wrote:

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers? ;;

WEhy is it a terrible place"? -0 and of course they sell speakers.

AIUI, the dealers' speakers are no better than what they put in the car
originally, but it's possible things have changed. Anyoone know? If
they are no better than original, they are still useful when the
original ones have been ruined somehow.

The right ones, that bolt in properly, even. Yes, they cost abit more
than the ones that don't fit.

Who is talking about ones that don't fit? I've never bought a speaker
from Crutchfield that didn't fit just as the original one did, except
for one car. I knew from the specs printed in the catalog (before the
web) that it was too deep, but I hoped magic would allow me to get it in
there (or maybe I could pound out a dent in the outside of the door!).
Indeed, it was just the depth they said it was, and so was the hole in
my car and it didnt' fit. Hmm. I'm sure the dealer would have had
speakers that fit, but I don't know that they would have been any better
than what I had.

speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

They will likely have "universal" speakers and adapter brackets -
which usually work OK - - - - -

Have you dealt with Cructchfield. No speaker I ever bought from them
used an adapter bracket, and none would be called universal. Of course
a 6x9x2.8" speaker can univerally fit every car that accespts speakers
of that size, but that doesn't make the speaker universal.

I won't be replacing my current speakers. Solaras don't use speaker
cover, except maybe on the dash. So to upgrade my speakers I'd have to,
I think, take off my entire inside front door panel or my entire rear
seat panel. After the fiasco of my last car, I'm not going to do that.

They do sell radios that require a bracket, because the face is not the
same exact shape as the original, or because one is changing from 2 or
1.5 DIN to 1 DIN, etc. But I don't think that's related.