Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce Bergman Bruce Bergman is offline

Default Storage Unit locks, using one "at home"?

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 6:17:08 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Larry Jaques on Mon, 27 Nov 2017
15:25:09 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 11:46:58 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Larry Jaques on Fri, 24 Nov 2017
20:01:24 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
They come with three keys. Considering how I mislaid my 2 spares,
I gave some thought to how I would remove such a lot - without a lot
of collateral damage. Just a matter of "what do you consider
'reasonable', eh no?" I mean, thermal lances are right out. (There
are too many wooden and cardboard things on the other side.
I guess that rules out the Barrett M82 can opener, too, huh? Darn.
I'm afraid that would have likely punched the lock through the
door, through the contents and into the next unit on the opposite side
of the back wall. Which might cause some problems.
Not sure there is enough room to get a Barret lined up with the
lock, either.
It may likely penetrate 3 or 4 units without a backstop. You'd need
to put a piece of 3/4" AR500 on the door to assure deflection of an
entry tool like that.

If I could do that, I wouldn't need to shoot the lock out, now
would I? :-)

It's called "foresight", son. gd&r

LOL

I know where the spare keys are. They're in the pocket of a
jacket in the box marked "Good Clothes" some where in the middle.
--
pyotr filipivich

No, I'm not going to screw around reloading Free Agent and getting an account, I'm coming in through Google Groups. Eff it. -- Bruce --

Once you dig into the unit and get that jacket to get all three keys each for both in your posession, Ty-rap all three keys to the "extra" lock and put it in the unit again. And take better care with the two spares for the one on the door now...

Once you get out of the second unit, Sell off the 2 locks to the next users and recover most of your investment. They'll have to take your word you didn't get copies made - but if that's a non-standard size where the blanks and the cutting machine aren't readily available for, it's a safe claim.

I wouldn't try keeping these locks for ANYTHING other than reuse at that location, because even if you get the mating door hasp/holder they're Master Keyed (That big red Manager Override key is location specific - You Hope...) and you don't have the Master, which makes them VERY insecure.

If you want secure, go to a place with the standard double padlock system, and get a custom cylinder padlock made with a Best or Medeco cylinder. Still not all that secure unless you get a more pick-resistant cylinder like the Medeco with the rotating followers, but the only way in is to destroy the hasp or the lock, and then you have proof of forced entry.

And if you don't pay the rent they put a second padlock in as a lockout. There is no reason for the Landlord to go in there without making proper arrangements. Them having a master key is a potential security breach.