Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Storage Unit locks, using one "at home"?

I have been closing out the storage units. One down, one to go.

When done, I'm going to have two of the "Cylinder Locks" which are
rather specialized. As I "paid good money" for these, I'm wondering
if anyone has ideas for sources for the latches.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:30:02 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have been closing out the storage units. One down, one to go.

When done, I'm going to have two of the "Cylinder Locks" which are
rather specialized. As I "paid good money" for these, I'm wondering
if anyone has ideas for sources for the latches.

You may want to post a picture. There aren't very many locks commonly
found in the USA which are really secure. $$$ doesn't necessarily make
secure...

"Cylinder Lock" to me would be a dead-bolt core. Maybe you have a Disc
Padlock? Or possibly a Puck Lock like you can find on semi-trailer
doors?

Most padlocks commonly use a hasp to secure doors and such. You can
find a variety of types and sizes in most hardware/big box stores...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:38:18 -0400
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have been closing out the storage units. One down, one to go.

When done, I'm going to have two of the "Cylinder Locks" which are
rather specialized. As I "paid good money" for these, I'm wondering
if anyone has ideas for sources for the latches.

You may want to post a picture. There aren't very many locks commonly
found in the USA which are really secure. $$$ doesn't necessarily make
secure...

"Paid good money" is me channeling my Scot heritage. B-) Being
Thrifty is the virtue, whilst being a tightwad is not.

ah " C-480-EZ-CD-KD Chateau EZ BEZEL Lock"

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:35:04 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

snip
"Paid good money" is me channeling my Scot heritage. B-) Being
Thrifty is the virtue, whilst being a tightwad is not.

ah " C-480-EZ-CD-KD Chateau EZ BEZEL Lock"

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

I don't allow Adobe Flash on my computers... but I think this must be
what you have:

http://www.markslocksmithshop.com/pr...product_id=102

They go for ~$8 new with key on the net. Looks very specialized. You
would need to get the frame it fits/works in to make use of at home
and then only for very specific items... I didn't spot the frames for
sale doing a quick search. I'll have to look up that patent number later
(curiosity).

Or you could offer it up for sale on ebay for lock sport and/or storage
use. I don't have many tubular locks to play with but I doubt it's
worth paying the shipping costs to get them here

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have been closing out the storage units. One down, one to go.

When done, I'm going to have two of the "Cylinder Locks" which are
rather specialized. As I "paid good money" for these, I'm wondering
if anyone has ideas for sources for the latches.

You may want to post a picture. There aren't very many locks commonly
found in the USA which are really secure. $$$ doesn't necessarily make
secure...

"Paid good money" is me channeling my Scot heritage. B-) Being
Thrifty is the virtue, whilst being a tightwad is not.

ah " C-480-EZ-CD-KD Chateau EZ BEZEL Lock"

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

Interesting. Ive never seen a tubular lock used on a door like this
before.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:22:29 -0400
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:35:04 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

snip
[...]

Or I could turn it into a "badge of office" - head of security
"oops, forgot to lock something up."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:16:49 -0800

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have been closing out the storage units. One down, one to go.

When done, I'm going to have two of the "Cylinder Locks" which are
rather specialized. As I "paid good money" for these, I'm wondering
if anyone has ideas for sources for the latches.

You may want to post a picture. There aren't very many locks commonly
found in the USA which are really secure. $$$ doesn't necessarily make
secure...

"Paid good money" is me channeling my Scot heritage. B-) Being
Thrifty is the virtue, whilst being a tightwad is not.

ah " C-480-EZ-CD-KD Chateau EZ BEZEL Lock"

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

Interesting. Ive never seen a tubular lock used on a door like this
before.

All the rage in storage units - or at least the one I've been
using the last couple years.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Here in California..they are still using padlocks..least the storage
units some of my customers use. Thanks for the heads up!

--
pyotr filipivich

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 04:55:06 -0800
"Paid good money" is me channeling my Scot heritage. B-) Being
Thrifty is the virtue, whilst being a tightwad is not.

ah " C-480-EZ-CD-KD Chateau EZ BEZEL Lock"

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

Interesting. Ive never seen a tubular lock used on a door like this
before.

All the rage in storage units - or at least the one I've been
using the last couple years.

Here in California..they are still using padlocks..least the storage
units some of my customers use. Thanks for the heads up!

It seems to be half of one, six dozen of the other.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:54:19 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Gunner Asch on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 04:55:06 -0800
Here in California..they are still using padlocks..least the storage
units some of my customers use. Thanks for the heads up!

It seems to be half of one, six dozen of the other.

Sort of... but at least with a padlock it has other obvious, tested
through the years uses. Plus you have many, many different locks
and security levels to choose from. This lock needs a very specific
sized, shaped hole and mechanism to be of use.

Going by what I could see in the images it looks like it could
be defeated with an 18 inch pipe that just fit over it. Picking would
take less than 5 minutes but there are very few thief's that pick locks.

I skimmed the patent, it was specifically designed for roll-up
doors:

https://www.google.com/patents/US6719334?dq=6719334

Without good security cameras and other access logging it looks to me
like security by weirdness. As in "I've never seen a lock like that
before Jim, how we gonna get in that one..."

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:33:45 -0400
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

They come with three keys. Considering how I mislaid my 2 spares,
I gave some thought to how I would remove such a lot - without a lot
of collateral damage. Just a matter of "what do you consider
'reasonable', eh no?" I mean, thermal lances are right out. (There
are too many wooden and cardboard things on the other side.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

That appears to be an Ace-type lock. They are not terribly secure, just
different. There is a "pick" kit that will open one in a few minutes. Of
course, if you are caught with that tool, you could be in big trouble.
It contains a castellated cylinder with 7 rods, held by a rubber band.
You wiggle the tool on the face of the lock, and the pressure of the lock's
tumblers slowly push the rods back until the tumblers line up with the break
in the lock's cylinders. When all the tumblers line up, the lock turns.
The tool can then be used to figure out the key code and a key can be made.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

They come with three keys. Considering how I mislaid my 2 spares,
I gave some thought to how I would remove such a lot - without a lot
of collateral damage. Just a matter of "what do you consider
'reasonable', eh no?" I mean, thermal lances are right out. (There
are too many wooden and cardboard things on the other side.

The typical Ace lock is not very hard at all. Just center punch the center,
and drill into it. when you get drilled in far enough, pound a screwdriver
into the center shaft and turn. Probably a lot faster than picking it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Tubular locks..properly designed ones...are something of a bitch to
pick. There are several tools that make it relatively easy..but they
are not found at the 99c store.

https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom...-lock-picking/

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:18:33 -0600
Jon Elson wrote:

snip
The typical Ace lock is not very hard at all. Just center punch the center,
and drill into it. when you get drilled in far enough, pound a screwdriver
into the center shaft and turn. Probably a lot faster than picking it.

Depends on the vintage. Newer versions have a hardened steel ball
pressed into that spot...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTJRZT/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 03:16:21 -0800
Gunner Asch wrote:

snip
Tubular locks..properly designed ones...are something of a bitch to
pick. There are several tools that make it relatively easy..but they
are not found at the 99c store.

Maybe for some people. They don't give me any trouble. All the pins
are out in the open to be manipulated. Unlike 6 and 7 pin tumbler
locks.

The impressioning tools don't work well, if at all with security
pins and/or different strength springs used on the pins. Single pin
picking them isn't that difficult. If it uses the same core Chateau
puts in their tubular disc padlock it's an odd size too. Common
impressioning tools won't fit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-d1VcT_LP4

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 08:17:58 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:18:33 -0600
Jon Elson wrote:

snip
The typical Ace lock is not very hard at all. Just center punch the center,
and drill into it. when you get drilled in far enough, pound a screwdriver
into the center shaft and turn. Probably a lot faster than picking it.

Depends on the vintage. Newer versions have a hardened steel ball
pressed into that spot...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTJRZT/

Indeed. The original version were brass plated with chrome..then
stainless steel bodies, hardened stainless steel (416) and so forth.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 08:29:05 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 03:16:21 -0800
Gunner Asch wrote:

snip
Tubular locks..properly designed ones...are something of a bitch to
pick. There are several tools that make it relatively easy..but they
are not found at the 99c store.

Maybe for some people. They don't give me any trouble. All the pins
are out in the open to be manipulated. Unlike 6 and 7 pin tumbler
locks.

The impressioning tools don't work well, if at all with security
pins and/or different strength springs used on the pins. Single pin
picking them isn't that difficult. If it uses the same core Chateau
puts in their tubular disc padlock it's an odd size too. Common
impressioning tools won't fit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-d1VcT_LP4

Thanks! It was a number of years ago that I had to learn to pick
them..as the result of them being used in security applications (when
I was running an alarm company). Ive "kinda sorta" kept abreast of
some of the aspects. Abus circular locks are used solely here on the
homestead and in my work trucks etc.
There are a number of tubular lockpick devices used today.

Ive always found that picking tubular locks were a pain in the ass. My
best respects to you if you can do it easily.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:18:33 -0600
Jon Elson wrote:

snip

[...]

Depends on the vintage. Newer versions have a hardened steel ball
pressed into that spot...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTJRZT/

Indeed. The original version were brass plated with chrome..then
stainless steel bodies, hardened stainless steel (416) and so forth.

---

There are some oddities to watch for too. May get you some extra money
selling to collectors and/or lock-sport enthusiasts. Lock-sport people
don't necessarily worry about working keys to go with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohSRh1O6jQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ppKbDcrNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5lRvQ05Us

I don't have any of these. Maybe someday I'll stumble across them for
cheap

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 05:25:10 -0800
Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! It was a number of years ago that I had to learn to pick
them..as the result of them being used in security applications (when
I was running an alarm company). Ive "kinda sorta" kept abreast of
some of the aspects. Abus circular locks are used solely here on the
homestead and in my work trucks etc.
There are a number of tubular lockpick devices used today.

Ive always found that picking tubular locks were a pain in the ass. My
best respects to you if you can do it easily.

Depending on how the lock is positioned in the wild can make huge
difference. It is one thing to have it right in front of you and
another to have to reach way behind something. Or maybe lie on the
floor, snowing, 20 deg... A lot of locksmiths just drill them. There
is even a special drill bit for such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY3sfT0b6BM

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I guess that rules out the Barrett M82 can opener, too, huh? Darn.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:18:33 -0600
Jon Elson wrote:

snip

[...]

Depends on the vintage. Newer versions have a hardened steel ball
pressed into that spot...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTJRZT/

Indeed. The original version were brass plated with chrome..then
stainless steel bodies, hardened stainless steel (416) and so forth.

---

There are some oddities to watch for too. May get you some extra money
selling to collectors and/or lock-sport enthusiasts. Lock-sport people
don't necessarily worry about working keys to go with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohSRh1O6jQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ppKbDcrNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5lRvQ05Us

I don't have any of these. Maybe someday I'll stumble across them for
cheap

Fascinating locks! The 11 pin and the flat key look like utter
bitches!!

Thanks!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:15:25 -0600
pyotr filipivich wrote:

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsVie w&prodId=38

That appears to be an Ace-type lock. They are not terribly secure, just
different. There is a "pick" kit that will open one in a few minutes. Of
course, if you are caught with that tool, you could be in big trouble.
It contains a castellated cylinder with 7 rods, held by a rubber band.
You wiggle the tool on the face of the lock, and the pressure of the lock's
tumblers slowly push the rods back until the tumblers line up with the break
in the lock's cylinders. When all the tumblers line up, the lock turns.
The tool can then be used to figure out the key code and a key can be made.

I figured there had to be some such device.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 24 Nov 2017
06:10:06 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid that would have likely punched the lock through the
door, through the contents and into the next unit on the opposite side
of the back wall. Which might cause some problems.
Not sure there is enough room to get a Barret lined up with the
lock, either.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

It may likely penetrate 3 or 4 units without a backstop. You'd need
to put a piece of 3/4" AR500 on the door to assure deflection of an
entry tool like that.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 24 Nov 2017
20:01:24 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

They come with three keys. Considering how I mislaid my 2 spares,
I gave some thought to how I would remove such a lot - without a lot
of collateral damage. Just a matter of "what do you consider
'reasonable', eh no?" I mean, thermal lances are right out. (There
are too many wooden and cardboard things on the other side.

I guess that rules out the Barrett M82 can opener, too, huh? Darn.

I'm afraid that would have likely punched the lock through the
door, through the contents and into the next unit on the opposite side
of the back wall. Which might cause some problems.
Not sure there is enough room to get a Barret lined up with the
lock, either.

It may likely penetrate 3 or 4 units without a backstop. You'd need
to put a piece of 3/4" AR500 on the door to assure deflection of an
entry tool like that.

If I could do that, I wouldn't need to shoot the lock out, now
would I? :-)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I wonder how easy it is to break into one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 11:46:58 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

It's called "foresight", son. gd&r

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 27 Nov 2017
15:25:09 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
[...]

LOL

I know where the spare keys are. They're in the pocket of a
jacket in the box marked "Good Clothes" some where in the middle.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Even better! LMAO

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 27 Nov 2017
21:29:19 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:
[...]

I was asked if I knew here the Turkish Candelabra was, and could I
get it. I said "Yes, and now" It is in the storage unit, but how
far "in" I don't know.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

No, I'm not going to screw around reloading Free Agent and getting an account, I'm coming in through Google Groups. Eff it. -- Bruce --

Once you dig into the unit and get that jacket to get all three keys each for both in your posession, Ty-rap all three keys to the "extra" lock and put it in the unit again. And take better care with the two spares for the one on the door now...

Once you get out of the second unit, Sell off the 2 locks to the next users and recover most of your investment. They'll have to take your word you didn't get copies made - but if that's a non-standard size where the blanks and the cutting machine aren't readily available for, it's a safe claim.

I wouldn't try keeping these locks for ANYTHING other than reuse at that location, because even if you get the mating door hasp/holder they're Master Keyed (That big red Manager Override key is location specific - You Hope...) and you don't have the Master, which makes them VERY insecure.

If you want secure, go to a place with the standard double padlock system, and get a custom cylinder padlock made with a Best or Medeco cylinder. Still not all that secure unless you get a more pick-resistant cylinder like the Medeco with the rotating followers, but the only way in is to destroy the hasp or the lock, and then you have proof of forced entry.

And if you don't pay the rent they put a second padlock in as a lockout. There is no reason for the Landlord to go in there without making proper arrangements. Them having a master key is a potential security breach.