Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting and counterintuitive to me

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 16:36:52 -0800, wrote:

I have a small lathe that I am slowly making into a much more
rigid and accurate machine. Part of the process has been to add more
bracing to the bed. The bed is cast iron and the added bracing pieces
are also cast iron. Dura Bar. The bracing had to be bolted in place. I
couldn't think of any better way to do it.
I started on this project years ago but I posted something in
another newsgroup that made me think of this. I was worried that the
bolted in bracing might be a problem because of vibration, being
bolted in and all.
But as it turns out the bolted in parts should actually dampen
vibrations. Even though the bolted in pieces fit as perfectly as I can
make them (they are lapped to fit) I thought the interface might lead
to problems. Turns out this interface should dampen vibrations, even
though everything fits well and the bolts are quite tight.
I guess my seat-of-the-pants engineering worked better this time
than actually thinking about it.

Eric

One of the most rigid hobby lathes Ive ever seen was an old Rockwell
lathe bolted to a big assed chunk of granite, the bed filled with sand
and epoxied in.

---