TURTLE

Default A/C & Heater Replacement??

"oldal4865" wrote in message

Bubba wrote in message ...
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:25:42 -0500, "oldal4865"
wrote:

ishtarbgl wrote in message

This is a chance to demonstrate how public-spirited you are.

1. Call cops
2. Cooperate with cops in setting up sting operation for these birds

who
are trying to adjust your disposable income for the coming year or two.

Yellow flame means insufficient air. Usually can be adjusted in the
twinkle on an eye. . .or the flick of a wrist just before you got there
(i.e. from blue to yellow for the sales pitch)

Cracked heat exchangers are as old a furnace scam as there is.

However,
they usually pull it on older widows. Going after expectant parents is

stroke of genius.

Regards
Old Al

Old Al,
Your advice was ok up until the last paragraph. A cracked heat
exchanger is NOT AN OLD SCAM, you fool. Anything can be a scam but a
real crack in a heat exchanger is not something to take lightly. Was
that furnace really cracked? I have NO unearthly idea. A second
opinion is in order. Dont make everyone think a crack is a scam. Its
Not.
Bubba

See the "evidence" of a cracked heat exchanger. . .the yellow flame.

We had the cops put out a newspaper bulletin when birds like that came
through our town.

Regards
Old Al

This is Turtle.

Old AL , i'm behind you 110% on locking up any crack headed hvac service
company tring to scam customers by telling the customer that they have a
cracked heat exchanger when they don't. Cracked Heat exchangers are a real
problem to be dealt with real soon and not to run them like that. I only see
about 2 or 3 a year for we just don't use very much heat on furnaces to get
the use out of them. the cooling system usely wears out and you just change
the heat exchanger out by changing the furnace out with the cooling system.
The point that the others are tring to get over to you is we in the hvac
industry have a problem with the public thinking that if I or a respectiable
hvac service man says they have a cracked heat exchanger. They automaticly
think it is a scam and will not take the advise of a respectiable service
man and they really do have a cracked heat exchanger. I / We in the industry
have to cut the gas off to the furnace and disconnect the gas line from the
furnace and plug it off. Then tell the customer the problem and tell them if
you want to take the responiability for trouble by running the furnace with
a crack in the heat exchanger, Have at it but I will not hook it back up. By
this scam thing going on makes us have to protect ourself from law suite by
disconnecting the gas line and maybe loose a customer but i will still have
reasoniable cost of my Contractor Liability insurance. We get the contractor
Liability insurance maybe $2k a year but get hit by a cracked heat exchanger
& leave it running and some one gets hurt in some way. You will be looking
at about $20k a year for coverage. If you get hit twice , you can't buy
coverage at all and the Lords of London will be your only choice after that.

So Al , don't have a blanket phrase on cracked heat exchangers being a scam
for we catch hell in the industry when people get the ideal that a cracked
heat exchanger is a scam of some kind. I remember one time a customer for 20
years when he had a cracked heat exchanger told me it was a crock of bull
that heat changer cracks was nothing at all. I showed him the hole and could
stick my finger through it and he still wanted to run it. He fixed it
hisself with some liquid steel but had to change it out the next season
because it split too far up to get to it with the liquid steel stuff. I lost
him as a customer for he wanted me to do as he said on safety matters. The
other service company told him when they were installing the new system that
it was that the blower was blowing too hard and caused the hole to form in
the fire chamber and having a hole was not a problem at all. till it would
blow flames out the fire chamber ports. i guess CO in your home would not be
a problem either.

this is what we are tring to point out to you.

TURTLE