Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Disassembling a Hydraulic Cylinder

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
On 12/2/2017 6:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
On 11/29/2017 2:24 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I recently acquired another learning project. I've been playing
with it in fits and starts, but I've been learning. The piston
seal
is shot. I did a simple test blowing air into one side, and a
little bit of air could be felt coming out the other side.

I'm having some issue getting the plug out so I can try to pull
the
piston out. It won't budge. The handy dandy 3 lb machinist hammer
and a punch won't make it spin. There was what looked like a wire
dog and slot of some kind on one side of the tube, but that was
folded down flat already.

I've left it set with penetrating oil soaking into the threads
for
a couple days. I'll probably give it another go this afternoon if
have the time, but I was wondering if there was something else I
might be missing. The plug didn't move at all previously. Using a
pin wrench is pretty much out of the question as previous owners
and metal beaters have already used the hammer and punch method
on
the holes and angled them out nicely for the next guy with a
hammer
and a punch... alas, but not for a pin wrench.

Well, that was an education and some expensive scrap metal. (not
that expensive I guess) There is a huge gouge down the inside of
the barrel. No I didn't make the gouge. LOL. I doubt this thing
ever worked very well with that. Almost had to be assembled that
way.

Some loose piece of metal caught in the piston seal?

A slice of it could be useful as a work support on a hydraulic
press
or for hammering depressions in sheet metal. I made oversized
caster
wheels to roll a hydraulic lift around the yard from cutoffs of
large
pipe, and raised my truck bed crane to lift appliances with some.
Ring
slices add variety to welded window security grilles. You could
even
mount a vise on it.
-jsw

Yep, All of that stuff. Won't throw it away in any extent. After I
get it off the lathe and get the piston out I'll inspect it again.
I can't tell for sure, but I might have been able to feel the end of
the gouge. I might still be able to make it back into a short
cylinder. Maybe have to go single acting, but I'll see if after I
get the piston out and have a look down the bore with a scope and a
light. If its completely unsalvageable it still might make a good
pedestal for a vise as you mentioned or a belt grinder.... or
something else. The piston rod would make a great linear rod for a
power hammer.

A local hydraulic cylinder rebuilding shop sold me some short piston
rod cutoffs to use for turning stock. A carbide insert removes the
black nitride case hardening and the steel below cuts and threads
nicely to a smooth finish.
-jsw