Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Can a country with 18 nukes win a nuclear war against a country with 1800 nukes

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Can a country which is highly dependent on a technical
infrastructure which is in turn dependent on a rather fragile
electrical grid survive an EMP attack?
And can it retaliate against a country which essentially has no
such comparable infrastructure?

How do you bomb back to the stone age, a society which for most
intents is already there?

Pyong Yang is NOT stone age, and it seems the rulers there are fine
if the
rest of the country IS.

If the US did a major counterstrike on Pyong Yang, it would not be
stone
age, it would be totally wiped out.

As for our ability to deliver such a counterstike after an EMP
attach, I
think the US has worked REALLY hard to make sure that they could do
so.
Certainly, the Trident subs would not be affected, and supposedly
they have
standing orders to retaliate if they can determine that the US has
been
nuked. The Minuteman missiles and their launch control centers are
underground, so even if their wire-line command network is popped,
they
should still be operable. Maybe they don't even use the wire-line
stuff
anymore. They have satellite, HF and VLF backup communications.
Plus, the
one last scheme is a Minuteman missile with a tape recorder and a
VHF
transmitter that can be launched vertically over North Dakota. It
can be
fed an Emergency Action Notification from a number of sources
including the
"TACAMO" aircraft, and then will broadcast that message to the
launch crews
for several hours before falling back to earth.

So, I think an EMP would not take out the command authority to
launch a
counterstrike. Now, the REST of the country would be in a MESS!
But, these
scenarios of absolutely nothing more sophisticated than a donkey
cart being
functional are, I think, way over the top. Certainly, anything with
big
antennas or long wires (broadcast stations and the power grid) are
going to
go out, and need some level of repair. But, I suspect a lot of cars
may
survive, at least partially, and a lot of infrastructure, like
trucks and
trains will survive to some extent. (Yes, the entire train
signalling
system will be shot, but I think the locomotives will be running or
be able
to be gotten running within a couple days.)

Jon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime
"The Starfish Prime electromagnetic pulse also made those effects
known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about
1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out
about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and
damaging a telephone company microwave link."