Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Disassembling a Hydraulic Cylinder

On 11/30/2017 12:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 11/30/2017 12:43 PM, Robert Roland wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:20:54 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I guess that slot in the side is some kind of
locking mechanism that I do not know how to over come.

Maybe something like this:

https://youtu.be/2KGhZgwmgMI?t=1239

That just might be it. I'll let you know. Of course I tapped the end
in instead of pulling it out. LOL.

Well, yes it was... sort of.

The ring was installed backwards or maybe it was broken off on the end.
In either case the cap/plug absolutely would not turn out. It would
only turn in, and turning in was the direction to turn the ring out...
part of the way. Yep, it would only turn in, and it bottom out with the
ring only about 3/4 of the way out. No amount of persuasion will get it
to turn in the other direction.

Fortunately I planned to cut the cylinder down anyway. Its to long for
my application. Unfortunately its to long for my lathe, so I'll have to
cut it down first before I can try to cut the end and see if I can
salvage the plug. If not I can make one, but I'd rather not if I don't
have to.