Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On 29 Nov 2017 16:33:12 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

On 29 Nov 2017 12:32:30 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

[...]

I think that's it. Try these direct links to the static images:

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....36649472_n.jpg

Yes, that's caulking vise, specialized for forging or welding
horseshoe caulks. Never saw one used by a proper farrier for its
proper purpose.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm up in snow country and like old
odds & ends. I've seen several different versions of caulks through
the years. My Dad use to call them sharp shod, or something that
sounded like that. He hauled logs out of the woods with a team of
horses in his younger years. If you dig around in old patents you
will find a lot of rabbit holes to explore searching on shoe caulks

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b