Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:13:09 -0800 (PST)
Bob La Londe wrote:

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every
time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I
wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place
so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds
doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel
pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite
nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a
bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with
a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my
butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the
C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

You can't have too many vises, that's what I think

I've got a 60lb 5 inch on a two wheel plus one leg stand and another one
mounted to a custom 2 inch receiver. I made the latter so I could
take/have a nice vise with me at the old heated shop where I worked on
weekends. My truck had 10,000 lb hitches on both the front and rear it
could slip into. The shop vise at work was utter rubbish!

Another 5 inch and a 3 inch bolted to seldom used benches.

A 3.5 inch mounted to my small movable welding stand. That turned out
really nice. Dad scrounged it years ago and we added to it.
Originally a car rim on the bottom, around 4x4 inch tube with a 9/16
narrow rectangular plate on top. Dad had me weld three angle iron legs
to the rim so it wouldn't be all tipsy. I drilled half a dozen holes
through the top for bolt mount vise grips when I added the vise. Works
really nice for holding small things for welding and grinding.

The big 60lb vise is mounted to around a 3 ft x 10 in x 1 in plate on
top of two heavy pipe posts at either end. The vise end has maybe 2.5
ft channel iron at the bottom with wheels on either end. The other pipe
is just welded to a plate at the bottom. Another channel iron spreader
goes between the two posts at the bottom. It is quite stable, yet easy
to move around.

I have a few other small, special purpose vises around too

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b