Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 7:42:54 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of
my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to
use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place so I'd have
to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds doesn't bother me to
much. My concrete filled pickup wheel pedestal for my bench grinders
has been working out quite nicely, but it might be a bit light for a
vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise
bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with a tube under
the work bench too. It would work ok on my butcher block work bench,
but on the steel top bench the C-channel supporting the top would make
it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

I'd look into the suitability of a pipe vise tripod stand. Threading
and unscrewing pipe are the most demanding jobs I use my bench vise
for.
-jsw

I second the suggestion of a tripod pipe vise. I spent most of last weekend cutting and threading pipe, and the Ridgid vise I rented was worth every penny. Solid as a rock, and folds up relatively small.