Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:13:09 -0800 (PST), Bob La Londe
wrote:

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

https://www.pinterest.com/galen0685/...tands/?lp=true
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=349414

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...EILDAB#imgrc=_

It really depends on what you are going to do with the vise. If you
need it to simply hold stuff...it doesnt take much. If you are going
to be breaking fittings on pipe...if not done properly..it Will fall
over fairly easily.

One of my clients has a NICE Starrett 8" vice on a small 4 legged
stand..very much like a grinder stand..and it works quite well for
"normal" stuff. I was quite surprised that it didnt move or tip over
as I was using it.

All of my vises are mounted on benches or on posts...shrug..but my
floors are dirt and are not level in the slightest...so I cant use a
free standing vise.

The hitch mount idea is cool..but remember..you are now applying much
leverage to the mounting receptical on the bench..and you could
perhaps easily move it/turn it over. So be sure you make it big enough
and suitable for the job.

Gunner, with 19 vises...some of which are restored..others waiting for
time and interest.

https://goo.gl/photos/aMuWRfzyFJuc2YsT6

---