Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trailer house. $238,000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:46:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 10:36:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 03:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 3:47:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Nope, even your garden shed has to be built to wind code. We don't see
many of those sheet metal things they sell up north and if they are
here, they were put in without a permit (illegally).
There is no exception for size, square footage, portable or any of the
other dodges you get in other places. It is more about them becoming
flying debris than the loss of the shed itself.

There's a trailer park (quite a nice one, thus far) located just
west of our property. We've always imagined trailers rolling across
our lawn like tumbleweeds while we sit snug in our concrete block
house. Of course, our roof would present some difficulties for those
downwind of us, since I think it's held on by gravity. Still,
in 70 years it hasn't gone anywhere. Knock wood.

Cindy Hamilton

Most northern homes are pretty much held together by gravity. The
trusses are toe nailed into the top plate and that is end nailed into
the studs.

That's certainly what I've seen in stick-built houses up here.

I'm not even sure I've got a top plate. The birdsmouth on the
rafter might just rest on the top course of concrete block.
The only studs in my house are in interior walls. I'm sure
my husband has seen the junction of roof and walls, but he's
not available for me to ask right now. It's all buried under
insulation, since we don't have any soffits.

If it is sitting on block there may not even be nuts on the "J" bolts
that are just mortared into one cell of the block holding the top
plate down.
In Florida the roof is continuously connected to the foundation by
simpson connectors

We've got those on the shop that we built in 2006:
http://www.fastenersplus.com/Simpson-H8-Hurricane-Tie-G90-Galvanized?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSflk0j4yhG ROP35bugpRDniVQ7MCoIa6cnxSI6Sx6Fi--L7d6JJtbYDIaAr4gEALw_wcB

Nailed 'em in with my own lily-white hands. (You can always tell
a lady by her hands.)

Those H8 "twisties" are better than toe nailing but they don't meet
code for much down here. You use something like this for the trusses.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...-H16/100375116