Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair
Char Jackson Char Jackson is offline

Default Google admits it tracked user location data even when the setting was turned off

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:32:54 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

However, all this begs another question. Assuming that Wi-Fi is also
turned off in Airplane mode, what the hell is Google doing
TRANSMITTING anything? Unless its buffered,

That seems likely, along with timestamps on everything to facilitate
correlation.

to use the phone for
location tracking would require transmitting the tower ID's when they
are heard. I would think that the airline companies would take a dim
view of this as Google's transmitting anything in an commercial
airliner in flight could interfere with aircraft navigation, which is
the purpose of having the Airplane mode. If some airliner falls out
of the sky due to a navigation error, Google's tracking trickery could
easily be deemed responsible.

Ever since most airlines have started allowing personal wireless devices
to remain on throughout commercial flights*, it's probably no longer a
big deal.

*Supposedly, not during take-off and landing, while the aircraft is
below 10,000 feet, but I travel very frequently for work and I can't
remember the last time I noticed anyone complying with that request.

As far as I know, there's no evidence to suggest that personal wireless
devices actually interfere with aircraft navigation or operation. The
whole thing, from the start, was done out of an abundance of caution,
not as a result of any specific test results.