Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair
harry newton harry newton is offline

Default Google admits it tracked user location data even when the setting was turned off

He who is rickman said on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 00:32:39 -0500:

Where's the value YOU added?

Pointing out your speculation which is *not* fact.

Fair enough.

Do you know how to tell, definitively, if any given phone is running this
compromised service?

I don't see it running when I look using these instructions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/258300/how-to-access-androids-list-of-running-apps-in-6.0-marshmallow-and-above/

However, it could be running *inside* an app that linked to the API.

When I check it with adb, I get the following error:
$ adb shell service list
error: device not found

I can check with "ps" though:
$ ps | grep -i service
Returns about a dozen services such as:
org.simalliance.openmobileapi.service:remote
samsung.clipboardsaveservice
com.sec.android.inputmethod:ACService
etc.
But:
$ ps | grep -i firebase
Returns nothing

At this point, I see no evidence (yet anyway) of firebase services on my
Android 4.3 phone. Do you see evidence of it running on yours?