Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Electric Heating for a house

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 13:00:57 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
though unless things have changed

solid fuel boilers lack the automated control of liquid/gas fuels

tim

I don't know enough about them to comment how reliable they are in
service but were there not hopper feed boilers available at one time,
possibly still are. Need a fine fuel sold as beans, and wood
chip/pellets are a solid fuel at the end of the day even though they
may be wrapped in up in some eco description such as Biomass and full
automatic boilers are advertised for that.

Despite the alleged strategic value in covering most of North Wales with
conifers, the only commercial use of locally produced timber seems to be
firewood, and there is much publicised lobby to set a wood chip industry
for wood fired boilers of all sizes from domestic to power stations.
Very little actual commercially available hardware seems to have
materialised, especially at the domestic end of the market.

Well there is domestic and domestic
I've seen some being demonstrated at Agricultural shows but what may
domestic to a land owner with possibly access to forestry will not be
quite the same as somebody living in a semi detached in Surburban
areas.
The former compared to the latter must be quite small so its
understandable that at the moment it is quite a niche market.
One firm I saw at a show seems to have domestic sized ones but
looking at the Domestic properties section under case studies on their
web page does show a leaning to the type of dwelling featured on
"Homes in the Country".
http://www.windhager.co.uk/

No costings I can see though which usually means Costa a Lot.

OTOH you could the same about an Agra cookers though and look how they
spread from where their use could be practical to where they became a
lifestyle accessory despite the high cost.

I also notice the firm appears to be keen to associate itself with the
green eco brigade,not sure that is a good idea as it means they may be
limiting themselves to that market and putting many others off , and
real eco warriors will be living in a yurt and burning damp sticks.

G.Harman