Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Estimated cost for replacing private sewage treatment plant

On 20/11/2017 08:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes indeed, modern does not mean better and I bet nobody actually thought
about the pong factor they were looking at the bottom line.

A reed bed system is not exactly more modern just an adopted trendy
green system which is probably OK for a dwelling where in the old days
the majority of waste 'water' was as a result of the owner carrying
water into the house in a bucket from a well or nearby stream. Add an
ample supply of mains water and a ton of chemicals to sanitise the loo,
to degrease cooking and table ware, to make you smell nice in the
bath/shower or the odd gallon or two of contaminated water from DIY
brush cleaning etc. and perhaps the green solution no longer works.

Essex Wildlife has has a visitors centre on the banks of Hanningfield
Reservoir
http://www.essexwt.org.uk/reserves/h...ield-reservoir
A few years ago when I visited it they claimed to have a working reed
bed system. I did wonder at the time if it was failing to work or they
got a deluge of rain water where the untreated sewage would end up.