Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Estimated cost for replacing private sewage treatment plant

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 03:44:03 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to MM, Iggy wrote:
Very good, thank you for the clarification. However, you might want to start
talking to Lawyers, The Health Dept., County Engineering, etc. These things
don't just happen, there was abundant negligence by someone and most
especially by the Gov't Agencies named. No homeowners should be short changed
here for Gov't inaction, fraud and criminal negligence.

You are absolutely correct in those comments. Residents assumed that
what the management committee was tasked to do, was being done. This
goes back several years. However, it has become known that the
original installation was allegedly carried out inexpertly. First, the
tank in the ground is supposed to be supported on ALL sides by a
concrete barrier or containment. This was not, or only partially,
implemented, thus causing the tank (fiberglass) to start collapsing
inwards.

Second, the spec was allegedly not correct in that the original design
provided for ONE tank, but "someone" (surveyor? local authority?)
decided after construction had commenced that a SECOND tank was
required as well.

Third, the company who supplied the plant has ceased trading.

Fourth, the company that built the estate and all amenities, including
the private sewage treatment plant (PSTP) is allegedly still trading.

BUT....!

To take all those involved to court would cost a fortune. Probably
well in excess of the £100,000 rough quote for a new PSTP. It would
also take forever to go through the courts, with appeals and so on,
while in the meantime the estate could be left high and (literally)
dry with no sewage treatment for 120 persons (estimated).

So it is a complete and utter shambles and I cannot see how on earth
it is going to be resolved. The Environment Agency and other agencies
are *extremely* strict about sewage and groundwater contamination,
quite rightly.

However, this cannot be the only PSTP to have failed and I'm trying to
discover which ones may have anywhere in the country and what was done
about it. There are just in Lincolnshire around 4,000 PSTPs of one
size of another, because Lincs is a large, very rural county.

Further note: Five years ago Anglian Water "adopted" the sewage
treatment of a whole village in the neighbourhood. All the dwellings
and farms at the time had their own cesspits/septic tanks. Anglian
Water constructed a new sewage treatment plant (size of a bungalow on
a plot of about half an acre) and dug up the single, main road through
the village to put all properties on to mains drainage. The work took
over a year, as I recall.

Residents here have always hoped that AW would do the same here, but I
wrote to AW several years ago and their reply was that we live too far
from any of their mains sewers, so it ain't gonna happen.

Please bear in mind that I am in no way involved in the management of
this shambles, but am endeavouring to find out on my own as much as I
can as an individual resident who has religiously paid the £400 annual
service charge every year. Obviously, all residents have been
extremely complacent over the years and believed everything they were
told. I think even now not all residents appreciate the dire situation
confronting them.

If you have any further suggestions, feel free to mention them!

Thanks.

MM