Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dontberry7@gmail.com is offline

Default Cant remove ceiling fan canopy

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 at 5:48:32 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:44:02 PM UTC-5, scott wrote:
replying to Metspitzer , scott wrote:

Kilowatt wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:04:13 -0800 (PST), "

Here is a shot in the dark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...11%3B300%3B443

Use Google Images and see if you can find a similar fan to the one you

have. You will regret damaging the box you are mounting the new fan

to.

I've spent much time on Google images looking for this already. Nothing

like it. Huge glass dome bowl, with three pins to hold it...agonizing to

change a light bulb, 'cause once two pins get in, you cannot (!) get the

third side over a lip to fasten it (I just took that little part off after

hours of trying.) Everything else in this white fan looks normal.

By the way I really think the center pole and ball is only being held up

by the canopy. but I can't figure out how the canopy was attached.

I seriously doubt the pole and ball is being held up by the canopy.
The pole and ball sit in a subtantial metal hanger that is securely
bolted to the electrical box. The canopy is essentially just a
sheet metal cover. It couldn't support the weight, plus it would
make it a bitch to install.

For those who seem to be sure the canopy cannot be the thing that supports the ball, downtube, and the entire fan, I can assure you that there are some Hunter fans that do in fact work this way. You first mount a stout plate to the ceiling. There is then a way to temporarily hang the fan while you make electrical connections. But eventually you end up attaching the canopy to the ceiling plate with three screws that do carry the entire weight of the fan. The final piece is snapping on a "canopy trim ring" that can sometimes be a real bitch to remove at a later date. Sometimes those trim rings work exactly the way they are supposed to, and sometimes they do not.