Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cant remove ceiling fan canopy

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:44:01 +0000, scott
wrote:

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

Try pushing up and then turning
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

"on this model"

What model is that?

I bet money if you use the make / model, there is a very good chance
of finding the install instructions on this thing called the
Internet.

Reverse to procedure for attaching the canopy.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

Most trist a few degrees, then drop - there are "L" shaped notches
in the "bracket" and bumps in the canopy that fit in the grooves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

*If this is a flushmount fan, you would need to remove the fan blades as
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John Grabowski , scott wrote:
jgrabows1 wrote:

*If this is a flushmount fan, you would need to remove the fan blades as
well.

I have done that. No matter how I twist or pull, it just won't come down.
I know the remote receiver is in the canopy...is it possible that the last
owners stuffed it in there so now the whole thing is stuck? I am really at
a loss of what to do, except smash it with a hammer. No, really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jgrabows1 wrote:

*If this is a flushmount fan, you would need to remove the fan blades as
well.

I have done that. No matter how I twist or pull, it just won't come down.
I know the remote receiver is in the canopy...is it possible that the last
owners stuffed it in there so now the whole thing is stuck? I am really at
a loss of what to do, except smash it with a hammer. No, really.

Googling for the assembly instructions was a pretty good suggestion.

---
I have tried everything else, I guess I am going to have to read the
instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*If this is a flushmount fan, you would need to remove the fan blades as
well.

I have done that. No matter how I twist or pull, it just won't come down.
I know the remote receiver is in the canopy...is it possible that the last
owners stuffed it in there so now the whole thing is stuck? I am really at
a loss of what to do, except smash it with a hammer. No, really.

*Can you post a few photos?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:58:57 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

I have done that. No matter how I twist or pull, it just won't come down.
I know the remote receiver is in the canopy...is it possible that the last
owners stuffed it in there so now the whole thing is stuck? I am really at
a loss of what to do, except smash it with a hammer. No, really.

Googling for the assembly instructions was a pretty good suggestion.

Yes. And I gave a hint to at least give a us make and model number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John Grabowski , scott wrote:
jgrabows1 wrote:

*Can you post a few photos?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Can you post a few photos?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

*I have run into that situation with smoke detectors that have been caulked
around the edges. Usually my razor knife is able to cut through the caulk
enough to get the old smoke detector off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

It's hard for me to understand how the canopy can turn an inch in either
direction and yet be caulked in place. What kind of caulk allows for

Color me suspicious, but the guy you hired didn't have enough tools with
him to get the canopy off? You're replacing the fan right? Seems to me that
any number of tools would have allowed him to get the canopy off as long as
you don't care about damaging it.

Granted, I'm not there to see exactly what you're up against.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:44:01 +0000, scott
wrote:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

mmm'kay

You hire a guy that cannot defeat a caulk bead, but you will not give
us a make and model of the fan.

If the crowbar fails to work on Monday; try Thermite. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

jgrabows1 wrote:

*Can you post a few photos?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

Tell him not to come back.

No way is a crow bar needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to philoÂ* , scott wrote:
philo wrote:

Tell him not to come back.
No way is a crow bar needed.

You guys are great. Well, this guy has done decent work for us in the
past...he was just stopping by to assess the situation first, and tried to
get it down. The caulk around the top of the canopy is gone, so it twists
a little. But that's it, so the guy thinks some caulk got inside.

It really is a puzzle...someone else pointed out that the ball rod hangs
from something, so if it's lifted up, everything should come down. well,
it doesn't. I think at this point if the guy uses a crowbar and fixes the
ceiling (which he'll need to do anyway, since the new canopy is smaller
than the hole), then just get it done. This guy isn't nuts. It could be
he's wrong, but he's not crazy. Monday morning...stay tuned!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2014 9:44 PM, scott wrote:
replying to philo , scott wrote:
philo wrote:

Tell him not to come back. No way is a crow bar needed.

You guys are great. Well, this guy has done decent work for us in the
past...he was just stopping by to assess the situation first, and tried to
get it down. The caulk around the top of the canopy is gone, so it twists
a little. But that's it, so the guy thinks some caulk got inside.
It really is a puzzle...someone else pointed out that the ball rod hangs
from something, so if it's lifted up, everything should come down. well,
it doesn't. I think at this point if the guy uses a crowbar and fixes the
ceiling (which he'll need to do anyway, since the new canopy is smaller
than the hole), then just get it done. This guy isn't nuts. It could be
he's wrong, but he's not crazy. Monday morning...stay tuned!

I might have missed something, here, but isn't there a center shaft with
lock nuts attached to a base plate which has two screws? This should be
inside of everything which would require removal of center hub/lights
(if present). Most ceiling fans that I have come across go together in
two to three stages. It would seem that you are starting in reverse
order for disassembly. There should at least be a center hub that has
a finished nut of some sort that needs to be unscrewed to gain access to
the rest of the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the
three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the
canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come down. It looks like
the metal inside the screw holes (what the canopy screws into) is also
moving. How can I get it unstuck? Twisting over and over isn't helping.

If you are replacing a ceiling fan with a ceiling fan, I sure wouldn't
take it down with a crowbar. Ceiling fans are heavy and have to have
a very secure box.

What is wrong with reading the instructions?

A picture may help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Metspitzer , scott wrote:
Kilowatt wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:44:01 +0000, scott
If you are replacing a ceiling fan with a ceiling fan, I sure wouldn't
take it down with a crowbar. Ceiling fans are heavy and have to have
a very secure box.
What is wrong with reading the instructions?
A picture may help.

We bought this house a year ago, so the light was here, and we have no
idea which model number (or even the company!). All we know is there is a
remote inside, and it's not coming down. I have looked at other manuals
and even called Hunter Fans, and the woman replied, "What do you mean you
took out the screws and it won't come down, sir?" (Click).
I don't know what you mean about two screws near the base and hub..I need
an illustration. The lighting parts are off. Do I need to take off the fan
motor? I don't know what that has to do with the canopy not sliding down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilowatt wrote:

[...]

As others have suggested, I'd google for the install manual.
That may have pics that show how the parts come together. As
others have said, if the 3 screws are out and it rotates
an inch, I don't see how caulk could be holding it in.
Nor do I see the need for a crowbar. How is a crowbar even going
to engage with it? A flat piece of wood to protect the ceiling
and a wide blade screw driver, painter's 5 in one tool, etc
would seem to be a better option. Get that in there and pry
down. But first I'd try to find pics via the install manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilowatt wrote:

[...]

Here is a shot in the dark.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...11%3B300%3B443

Use Google Images and see if you can find a similar fan to the one you
have. You will regret damaging the box you are mounting the new fan
to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jgrabows1 wrote:

*Can you post a few photos?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

Like I said, if the contractor plans to use a crowbar it's time for
another contractor...he does not know what he's doing...and using a
crowbar will of course ruin your ceiling and worse still...the mounting!

If you want better help you should post a good, close up photo
of as much of the interior section as you can get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilowatt wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:04:13 -0800 (PST), "
Here is a shot in the dark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...11%3B300%3B443
Use Google Images and see if you can find a similar fan to the one you
have. You will regret damaging the box you are mounting the new fan
to.

I've spent much time on Google images looking for this already. Nothing
like it. Huge glass dome bowl, with three pins to hold it...agonizing to
change a light bulb, 'cause once two pins get in, you cannot (!) get the
third side over a lip to fasten it (I just took that little part off after
hours of trying.) Everything else in this white fan looks normal.

By the way I really think the center pole and ball is only being held up
by the canopy. but I can't figure out how the canopy was attached.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilowatt wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:04:13 -0800 (PST), "

Here is a shot in the dark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...11%3B300%3B443

Use Google Images and see if you can find a similar fan to the one you

have. You will regret damaging the box you are mounting the new fan

to.

I've spent much time on Google images looking for this already. Nothing

like it. Huge glass dome bowl, with three pins to hold it...agonizing to

change a light bulb, 'cause once two pins get in, you cannot (!) get the

third side over a lip to fasten it (I just took that little part off after

hours of trying.) Everything else in this white fan looks normal.

By the way I really think the center pole and ball is only being held up

by the canopy. but I can't figure out how the canopy was attached.

I seriously doubt the pole and ball is being held up by the canopy.
The pole and ball sit in a subtantial metal hanger that is securely
bolted to the electrical box. The canopy is essentially just a
sheet metal cover. It couldn't support the weight, plus it would
make it a bitch to install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilowatt wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:04:13 -0800 (PST), "
Here is a shot in the dark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...11%3B300%3B443
Use Google Images and see if you can find a similar fan to the one you
have. You will regret damaging the box you are mounting the new fan
to.

I've spent much time on Google images looking for this already. Nothing
like it. Huge glass dome bowl, with three pins to hold it...agonizing to
change a light bulb, 'cause once two pins get in, you cannot (!) get the
third side over a lip to fasten it (I just took that little part off after
hours of trying.) Everything else in this white fan looks normal.

By the way I really think the center pole and ball is only being held up
by the canopy. but I can't figure out how the canopy was attached.

Don't you have a digital camera? A photo would give us a chance to
figure it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , scott wrote:
trader4 wrote:

&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa
=X&ei=w0vlUtjNIZHfkQeJuoC4Cw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1 550&bih=743#fac
rc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Tb7VOqhBZcVUAM%253A%3BtN2ZTCRA X1lXiM%3Bhttp%253A%

252F%252Fg-ecx.images-amazon.com%252Fimages%252FG%252F01%252Fth%252Fguid es%

252Fintern%252Fceilingfan%252FCeiling-Fan-Downrod-4C2._V188078327_SX300_SCL

ZZZZZZZ_.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.amazon.com%2 52Fgp%252Ffeature.html%25
3Fie%253DUTF8%2526docId%253D2410524011%3B300%3B443

I seriously doubt the pole and ball is being held up by the canopy.
The pole and ball sit in a subtantial metal hanger that is securely
bolted to the electrical box. The canopy is essentially just a
sheet metal cover. It couldn't support the weight, plus it would
make it a bitch to install.

Thank you to everyone who stayed with me through thick and thin (dramatic
intro)...
In the end, the man took down the canopy ("I have no idea how", he said.)
There was a flat metal plate (with a green wire) attached to the ceiling.
This plate had three "lips", and the canopy was put on and turned. The
middle pole and ball were indeed being held up only by the canopy. (Must
be a very old model.) So Metzspitzer was right...it should have just
needed a turn to go past the lips and come down, but it wouldn't turn, and
the plate was turning with it.
Putting up the new one wasn't so easy, since the elec. box was far into
the ceiling. But now it's done, thank you again for all of your comments.
Stay tuned for episode two...the attic fan, where we explore why the
controls are stashed deep out of reach into the rafters, thus preventing
the fan from going on the entire summer. And the electricity is
running...I found out the hard way. Ouch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

jgrabows1 wrote:

*Can you post a few photos?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hired someone, and he couldn't
get it down either. He thinks caulk got in and made everything stick. (The
last owners caulked the canopy to the ceiling, it got on the screws too
which I finally got out.) He's bringing a crowbar on Monday.

Tell him not to come back.

No way is a crow bar needed.

You just don't understand the situation... This is
probably a Stumped project behind schedule and
over budget.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cant remove ceiling fan canopy It's removed

scott posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

I certainly hope that while this event took place
you had the guy check to make certain it was a
true ceiling fan box rather than some work-around.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:45:01 +0000, scott
wrote:

replying to , scott wrote:
trader4 wrote:

[...]

Starting with all of this, here's my scenario. The fan should have been
held up by the bracket, but somehow it broke off and was now held up
only by the canopy. There must be a ring on the pipe that holds the
fan that was too big to go through the canopy.

The weight of the fan on the canopy made the canopy hard to turn, so it
wouldn't separate from whatever was holding it.

Someone should have lifted up the fan, at least taken the weight off the
canopy, while someone else turned the canopy.

Stay tuned for episode two...the attic fan, where we explore why the
controls are stashed deep out of reach into the rafters, thus preventing
the fan from going on the entire summer. And the electricity is
running...I found out the hard way. Ouch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We were having the same problem. I found this blog and it helped us! We had to lift up in the unit so the canopy could turn. Now we can replace with something newer. Thanks so much!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hiromismom, scottmar98 wrote:
It's been almost three years since I posted originally...there is a great
lesson in this. Even though you might think that something is long forgotten,
it can still be resurrected to help someone in need! So always post...no
matter how trivial you might think it is!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...py-781973-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:14:01 +0000, scottmar98 m wrote:

replying to hiromismom, scottmar98 wrote:
It's been almost three years since I posted originally...there is a great
lesson in this. Even though you might think that something is long forgotten,
it can still be resurrected to help someone in need! So always post...no
matter how trivial you might think it is!

I forgot, what was the question again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

For those who seem to be sure the canopy cannot be the thing that supports the ball, downtube, and the entire fan, I can assure you that there are some Hunter fans that do in fact work this way. You first mount a stout plate to the ceiling. There is then a way to temporarily hang the fan while you make electrical connections. But eventually you end up attaching the canopy to the ceiling plate with three screws that do carry the entire weight of the fan. The final piece is snapping on a "canopy trim ring" that can sometimes be a real bitch to remove at a later date. Sometimes those trim rings work exactly the way they are supposed to, and sometimes they do not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Somebody needs their diaper changed
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Hampton bay ceiling fan, took off canopy ring but no screws. So how can I get off to change the reciever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2020 12:49 PM, wrote:
Somebody needs their diaper changed

Ask your mother.