Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

Default Electric Heating for a house

On Monday, 20 November 2017 10:31:03 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
I have a friend who has asked me advice on his heating. The house has no gas,
and has a mixture of storage heating and a wood burner back boiler driving some
radiators for the rooms that don't have storage heaters. The house had economy
7 but the current supplier does not support it, though it still has a dual
meter and teleswitch.

The obvious answer is to get an E7 tariff and activate the storage heaters. Zero initial cost and moderate running cost.

You cannot "turn on storage heaters when you need them". They just sit there providing background heat. If you want a controllable storage heater then you need a fan-assisted one but they're bulkier and expensive.

Add storage heaters to rooms that don't have then as and when needed and can be afforded.

Anything else with have either a high initial cost (eg oil or LPG central heating) or high running cost (electric radiators).

But also check Energy Saving Trust website as there may be grants available for heating upgrade or more insulation.

Owain