Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Electric Heating for a house

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
I have a friend who has asked me advice on his heating. The house has no
gas, and has a mixture of storage heating and a wood burner back boiler
driving some radiators for the rooms that don't have storage heaters. The
house had economy 7 but the current supplier does not support it,

well that's a it dumb isn't it

given that you have a free choice in who supplied you

though it still has a dual meter and teleswitch.
The back boiler needs a constant supply of wood which is proving onerous.
He needs a more controllable heat, he has an aging mother there too, and
would like to be able to turn on the storage heaters when he needs them,
which involves bypassing the teleswitch but i am not sure if the bricks in
the storage heaters would delay any heat output, we are trying to do this
as cheaply as possible.

without buying a duel supply radiator tuning on the heaters during the day
will be very slow to react. But it will keep the heat output a bit more
constant.

We could replace the radiators with electric ones

will be very much more expensive to run

or would be if you were on the right tariff for the SRs

or remove the bricks from the storage heaters and

No don't do that. they are not designed to be used that way

bypass the teleswitch and use the same wiring?
Replace the back boiler with an electric boiler

can you not get bottled gas or oil?

tim