Posted to rec.woodworking

Default techshop gone

On 2017-11-19, wrote:

I don't know what a "maker" is, in this context. I'm a boomer, if that
tells you anything.

Likewise.

"Maker culture".....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_culture

....is what we "boomers" usta call "DIY'ers" or "hobbyists". Greedy
jerks gave it a different name soley to capitalize on the new term.

I have a "Maker" electronics book to make/learn electronics. It's a
"spend lotsa $$$$" approach to learning electronics and teaches almost
nothing, but I foolishly spent $30 to discover that fact. See the
recent closure of "open-source" tech shops? They also called them
"Maker" shops.

OK, home maintenance and woodworking, I guess I'm a "maker".
Electronics, not so much (working electronics design engineer for 40
years).

"Makers" go to "Maker" fairs, write "Maker" books. sell "Maker" junk,
etc. It's all jes a scam.

Oh, like woodworking and gun shows[*]? Sure (been a while though).
;-)
[*] And dragged kicking and screaming to craft shows