Posted to rec.woodworking

Default techshop gone

techshop.ws could not create a sustainable business model and is gone

all the us locations are closed

was sad to hear about this because a lot of people were able to access
equipment that they just would not have otherwise

also over 3000 vets had used techshop

the website is gone and only has a single pdf which is interesting
to read

they had a good run

if there is one near you there is probably going to be a lot of
equipment up for sale soon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:35:22 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

techshop.ws could not create a sustainable business model and is gone

they filed chapter 7 which means it is completely over and no chance for
more funding or anything else

there is an email address to send inquiries to for buying equipment or
any other assets

all the us locations are closed

there were some overseas techshops but they were managed and financed
independently and they are still in operation

wonder what they did that was different

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-11-17, Electric Comet wrote:

wonder what they did that was different

You mean, other than change the term from "hobbyist" to "maker"?

IOW, why do hobby-shops not have "open source" workshops. Lowe's?
Home Depot? Cuz there's NO $$$$ in it!! DUH!

Jes cuz a buncha 'greedy bastids' thought stupid millennials would
fall for a simple name change (they did), doesn't mean millennials
aren't also cheap. Seen many mils paying monthly membership in a
health clubs (say it fast, five times).

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-11-17, Electric Comet wrote:

wonder what they did that was different

You mean, other than change the term from "hobbyist" to "maker"?

IOW, why do hobby-shops not have "open source" workshops. Lowe's?
Home Depot? Cuz there's NO $$$$ in it!! DUH!

Jes cuz a buncha 'greedy bastids' thought stupid millennials would
fall for a simple name change (they did), doesn't mean millennials
aren't also cheap. Seen many mils paying monthly membership in a
health clubs (say it fast, five times).

Not sure you meant there to be a question mark at the end of the last
sentence but there are a fair number of millennials at the gym I go
to. It's the most expensive one around, too. Millenials are at least
as vane as boomers were.
Posted to rec.woodworking

They might come out of chapter and re-organize. Might never happen
and might never be wanted. Politics and taxes and insurance are out of
hand.

Martin

On 2017-11-18, wrote:

Not sure you meant there to be a question mark at the end of the last
sentence but there are a fair number of millennials at the gym I go
to. It's the most expensive one around, too. Millenials are at least
as vane as boomers were.

I'm so happy for you! Are you a "maker", also? --- Did I get it
right?

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in news

Any opinions on this one (being a 4th edition, it seems to have been
around a while).
I recently added it to my "wish list".
https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ele...urth-Scherz/dp
/1259587541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511133446&sr=8-1&

I'm open to alternatives.

Bill

I wasn't too fond of it. It's much too bulky to be a good reference and
too referency to be much of anything else.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-11-19, Bill wrote:

I'm open to alternatives.

http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/index.php

There are soooo many websites teaching electronics, you jes hafta find
one you like. Even the entire Navy electronics course is on the net. To pay
anyone to learn electronics is a fools game.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 18:20:34 -0500, Bill

On 2017-11-19, wrote:

I don't know what a "maker" is, in this context. I'm a boomer, if that
tells you anything.

Likewise.

"Maker culture".....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_culture

....is what we "boomers" usta call "DIY'ers" or "hobbyists". Greedy
jerks gave it a different name soley to capitalize on the new term.

I have a "Maker" electronics book to make/learn electronics. It's a
"spend lotsa $$$$" approach to learning electronics and teaches almost
nothing, but I foolishly spent $30 to discover that fact. See the
recent closure of "open-source" tech shops? They also called them
"Maker" shops.

"Makers" go to "Maker" fairs, write "Maker" books. sell "Maker" junk,
etc. It's all jes a scam.

nb

Any opinions on this one (being a 4th edition, it seems to have been
around a while).
I recently added it to my "wish list".
https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ele...133446&sr=8-1&

I'm open to alternatives.

It looks an awful lot like the "Electronics for Scientists" text that
was popular when I was an undergrad 40-some years back. That text had
enough to get you interested but not enough to actually do anything.

The kids today seem to get a Raspberry Pi and futz with it and if the
bug bites then they grow from there, if it doesn't then they've got a
nice, cheap, low-powered spare computer.

Don't overlook YouTube--there's a lot more there than you might
expect--even course content from MIT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 21:57:02 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

They might come out of chapter and re-organize. Might never happen
and might never be wanted. Politics and taxes and insurance are out
of hand.

unfortunately they filed chapter 7

so no chance for more funding or any recovery

still have not heard why the overseas techshops are still operating

perhaps deeper pockets or better business acumen or maybe just more
members

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Don't overlook YouTube--there's a lot more there than you might
expect--even course content from MIT.

As a matter of coincidence, since Youtube noticed I was interested a
couple of weeks ago, they have been offering me a steady diet. The last
video I watched discussed the divergence of the technologies (parts)
used by product manufacturers, versus that used by hobbyists, since the
70's say. Basically, robots aren't good at assembling the traditional
components that have wires and prefer "flat" components (my words)
without long pins. As a results, hobbyists can't quite get the same
technology as manufacturers have without being willing to learn to use
the flat (and very small) technology, which is much more cumbersome,
especially for beginners.

So far, my biggest accomplishment is learning to use (induction) coils,
diodes (rectifier?) and a capacitor to convert ac current into direct
current (all designed and implemented in a YouTube video!) I
actually made induction coils (for "shock" value) following instructions
from a book ("The Boy Electrician") when I was in 8th grade. I
downloaded the book online, just out of sentimental value/curiosity, a
few years ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 02:14:19 -0500, Bill
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Don't overlook YouTube--there's a lot more there than you might
expect--even course content from MIT.

As a matter of coincidence, since Youtube noticed I was interested a
couple of weeks ago, they have been offering me a steady diet. The last
video I watched discussed the divergence of the technologies (parts)
used by product manufacturers, versus that used by hobbyists, since the
70's say. Basically, robots aren't good at assembling the traditional
components that have wires and prefer "flat" components (my words)
without long pins. As a results, hobbyists can't quite get the same
technology as manufacturers have without being willing to learn to use
the flat (and very small) technology, which is much more cumbersome,
especially for beginners.

There is also a higher mountain of learning needed for many
"reasonable" (what do you want that you can't buy cheaply) projects.
That's why the Arduino, and such, are popular. Much of the
infrastructure is done.

Ham radio has been pretty much killed by the Internet, too, though it
was already going downhill well before.

So far, my biggest accomplishment is learning to use (induction) coils,
diodes (rectifier?) and a capacitor to convert ac current into direct
current (all designed and implemented in a YouTube video!) I
actually made induction coils (for "shock" value) following instructions
from a book ("The Boy Electrician") when I was in 8th grade. I
downloaded the book online, just out of sentimental value/curiosity, a
few years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

And Breaker! Breaker! has been replaced with Ok Google. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, notbob wrote:
Yet, that kid (James Kim) who died --and tested and reported on all
the latest high-tech communications hand helds-- and almost lost his
family, up in OR, mighta survived if he knew some old school morse
code (CW) and hadda basic QRP rig.

That was eleven years ago. A bit late for a coulda/shoulda isn't it?
He might have survived if he had a satelite phone, too.

If I've learned anything --much like touch-typing-- learn Morse code
while yer young.

His kids would be 14/15 and 11/12 now. You could teach them.

(Not sure where they are living now, I knew the wife's San Francisco
store, but it has been closed since 2008.)

And about Techshop, since I'm someone who was in the target market:

* The facilties were nice, but the prices were too high. And it's
different using rental ship.

* I don't have a lot of room for tools or for working, but at least
I don't have to schlep all my materials too and from a workshop
that's costing me money whether or not I'm using it.

I'm not a milennial, but I do feel affiliated to the "Maker" movement.
I've been to more than a dozen Maker Faires, which I find a good place
to get inspiration for doing new things, both within my comfort zone and
out of it. My wife makes a good living on the textile side of the Maker
movement selling simple sewing patterns and teaching sewing to first
timers. (Most of the money comes from the patterns, not the teaching,
which is much more limited audiences.) She's shown her work at four or
five Maker Faires in three cities.

The Maker Movement is child to the Popular Mechanics projects. They are
not in-depth nor are they the most basic foundation, but inspiring and
fun.

Elijah
------
useful in a world where off-the-shelf is so common
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:35:26 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
techshop.ws could not create a sustainable business model and is gone

all the us locations are closed

was sad to hear about this because a lot of people were able to access
equipment that they just would not have otherwise

also over 3000 vets had used techshop

the website is gone and only has a single pdf which is interesting
to read

they had a good run

if there is one near you there is probably going to be a lot of
equipment up for sale soon

Do you think they will have any walnut or maple reduced
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-11-20, Eli the Bearded wrote:

That was eleven years ago. A bit late for a coulda/shoulda isn't it?

Actually, I've been asking this question fer all those yrs. Having
once lived in OR, I KNOW where he went.

He might have survived if he had a satelite phone, too.

......or if he'd never turned down that particular road. My "what-if"
is no different than your "what-if".

* The facilties were nice, but the prices were too high.

Pretty much my entire point, in this thread. If you wanna "make this
part of a larger conversation", be my guest.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in news

Any opinions on this one (being a 4th edition, it seems to have been
around a while).
I recently added it to my "wish list".
https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ele...urth-Scherz/dp
/1259587541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511133446&sr=8-1&

I'm open to alternatives.

Bill

I wasn't too fond of it. It's much too bulky to be a good reference and
too referency to be much of anything else.

Puckdropper

That book just happened to show up under my tree today. I agree that
it's very bulky; it deserves a hard cover instead of the flimsy one it
has. But it seems fairly though and it is set with a nice (readable)
sized type. I like that it offers a better glimpse into the basic math
then the book I have been reading, "Introduction to Electronics" by Andy
Cooper. I'm pretty sure I would recommend the "inventors..." book over
that one. It seems to be more eager to help you to "get your hands
dirty". So that makes me ask, which book do you prefer (and why)?

Bill

techshop.ws Electric Comet Woodworking 5 January 28th 17 04:20 AM
(Q) Where have my bats gone? Timothy Murphy UK diy 0 April 25th 04 01:02 PM
shower gone kerput in2minds UK diy 1 March 8th 04 11:31 PM
1 micron vs 5 micron DC bags (or, Have my goolgle skills gone bad?) Mike in Mystic Woodworking 12 August 16th 03 08:14 AM
singing... where are all the DIY stores gone... Toby UK diy 10 July 16th 03 01:06 PM