Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Work bench design: Well made?

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 2:23:12 PM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

but basically, it's WAY over built for a wood shop,

Right off, I think a top made of construction grade 2x6's, edge glued is
more than enough. I have no clue why anyone other than an elephant
mechanic would need a 2x6 face glued top?

I suppose it depends on what kind of woodworking you do. If you use the bench as a table to hold up wood you are cutting, gouging, sanding with a power tool, then its strength isn't too important. A kitchen table with a vise bolted to it would be plenty. Sawhorses with a sheet of plywood on top would be adequate too. I can imagine an edge glued top of 2x6s would be about like a trampoline if you tried to chop mortises in a table leg. The wood would bounce a foot into the air via your edge glued 2x6s. Whereas face glued 2x6s would have the mass to absorb mortise chopping.

Oh, make the height the same as your TS top so wood can be supported,
always a good idea.

I hear this comment many times. My table saw top and workbench top are several inches different in height. They are also about 15 feet apart. Table saw in one half of the basement and workbench in the other half. Both are much too heavy to drag close to each other to allow the bench to serve as an outfeed. I suppose people who have moveable and portable benches and saws could make them the same height. Those of us with heavy, permanent, sizable benches and table saw setups, don't concern ourselves with having them the same height.