Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Work bench design: Well made?

On 11/13/2017 3:37 PM, Michael wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I822PC9kW7Y

I need a small workbench in my basement where I can do hand tool
stuff in the wintertime.

What do you think about the leg design on this bench? It looks pretty
good to me to build it as part of the top, but I thought I would
check with the experts.

I think I'll make the two side A-Frames with 2X4s, and then make the
butcher block for the inside (5' X 3') and glue (and maybe bolt) the
three parts together. I don't see the point of all the screws, but
maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

I think the whole bench is rather dumb. I guess if you planned on
parking a house, large elephant or full cement truck on the top, it
would be OK, but basically, it's WAY over built for a wood shop, and
really over built for an assembly table.

Right off, I think a top made of construction grade 2x6's, edge glued is
more than enough. I have no clue why anyone other than an elephant
mechanic would need a 2x6 face glued top? Don't forget space for a wood
vice or two. Might be a good idea to get the vice first, and build the
top to suit the vice.

Second, I don't like benches with open middles. Much better to fill it
with drawers which give you a place to store stuff, other than on the
top. You know, a place for everything and everything in it's place.

Simple 2x4 construction is more than any wood shop should need.

The very first thing I built when I built my shop was the work bench. I
made the top from 2x4's ripped into 2x2's because I wanted a butcher
block look. I never did that again, I would now simply use 2x6's edge
glued. I figured the top could easily be replaced if it got too banged
up, being cheap fir and all that. I never replaced or even
refinished it. It has almost 50 years of heavy use and abuse, and I
wouldn't replace it for anything, it's my shop history and sentimental
to me. It does look better as Butcher block, but that's not needed and
the way I did it was a LOT of work.

I built all the drawers and made them too small for the case, thinking I
didn't want them to swell and jam, because that's what happened to an
old bench my Dad had. Damn drawers would stick in the summer. I learned
now how to better fit drawers. These have a little sloppy fit. I would
not have my main bench w/o drawers. All my tool benches have drawers
and or cabinets. Do it that way the first time if you are a wood
worker, you'll thank yourself later.

Here are a couple of pictures of my bench after about 40 some years of
abuse. I could build it a bit better now, but it is solid as the day I
made it, and it taught me a lot about case work.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/bench03.JPG
http://jbstein.com/Flick/bench04.JPG

I'll say this again, you need a place for everything, and everything
will get put away, and not get lost. Build drawers, drawers and more
drawers. Divide the drawers up so things have their own place in the
drawers.

Oh, make the height the same as your TS top so wood can be supported,
always a good idea.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com