Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default which cutoffs for firewood

On 11/18/2017 1:41 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Jack wrote in news
*snip*

As far as painted wood, I burn it too. Treated wood I wonder about, I
know they say not to, but not sure if it's better or worse than
sending it to a landfill. I know I don't like breathing shop dust
from treated wood, and would think burning it would be bad, but who
really knows, lots of bad science/info out there, so I'm always
skeptical about this stuff.

As I understand it, the properway to dispose of treated wood is
incineration. Of course, the "pros" want to do it, as a cold smokey fire
could be a hazard.

I've burned old deck boards and had flames leaping 5' off of them.
Definitely not something to do inside. :-)

Yes, I was thinking lots of hazardous waste is incinerated, so possibly
burning PT wood would destroy most or all of the bad stuff. Not saying
it's ok, but just thinking.

I know for years I heard you shouldn't use pressure treated wood in your
raised gardens and on picnic tables. Always thought that was wrong, and
now at least I read in raised gardens, it's safe, which I figured anyway.

As far as picnic tables go, unless your eating the table itself, I
wouldn't worry about that either. After every bird on earth takes a
dump on your table, local cats dine on vermin and so on, you might want
to use a plate when eating like most civilized people would. But if you
don't, then I'd still worry about other than the PT wood, unless the
chemicals was still oozing out of the wood.

Inside is not a problem unless your house is filling with smoke, which
would mean you have more problems than burning PT, or painted wood.

I was at a dock party once where they were boiling corn on the cob in a
giant drum on a fire, and stirring the stuff with a PT 2x4. I guess
nobody died immediately from the corn, but I told them they were dumb as
dirt, imo, and I didn't eat one ear, although it was probably safe
enough for a few ears, not for me.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com