Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pegboard storage

wrote in
news
On 17 Nov 2017 09:37:36 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

The local model railroad club has a lot of scenery materials in bags
and peanut butter-sized (and slightly larger) containers. The
existing pegboard is already overloaded, so I was thinking about a way
to maximize the storage in a small amount of space.

What I came up with is a series of cabinets, 4-6 inches wide, 24
inches deep, and 6-8ft tall with pegboard on one side. The pegboard
could house shelves or hooks. Each cabinet would sit on fixed casters
with some kind of guide bar at the top. Like books on a shelf, when
you wanted to access something you'd pull it out and then push it
back. One of the requirements is to keep the aisleway clear when
these are pushed in.

I'm not sure what I'd use for that guide bar, some form of pipe would
seem to work, but how do I make sure it doesn't extend into the
aisleway? Wood? Would drawer slides be reasonable in price and
strong enough to handle the load?

Thinking about this, I'm building giant drawers turned on their side.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have to share.

Casters on the bottom of the "drawer" and a 1x2 guide on either side
on the frame on top?

The 1x2 guide sounds like a good idea. I'm a little concerned about a
"drawer" getting a little tipsy, but if I put the stop far enough back it
should keep things from tipping.

Puckdropper