Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default which cutoffs for firewood

On 11/17/2017 9:31 AM, Steve wrote:
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 5:13:53 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

in addition to the above comments (non-treated, non-painted, non-coated, non-primed) I would also advise sticking to hardwoods and against burning pine (no SPF, no softwood at all.) Pine releases creosote, though in small amounts, I'm sure there's less risk. There are also ways to mitigate that risk (e.g., creosote burning logs, full stainless liners, etc.) but for my money, I just avoid it altogether.

I'm interested in others' takes on the softwood burning, especially in homes.

Also, I tend to use my smaller hardwood scraps in my smoker, as opposed to my fireplace. Whether oak, maple, or cherry, it never hurts the brisket or pulled pork!

I've not had a problem with well dried softwood in moderation. I don't
let it smolder and give it plenty of air. Not everyone has access to
hardwoods and they use softwood almost entirely. You just have to take
a bit of care and clean more often. In some parts of the world they use
dried manure too.

For those that don't have a smoker, a plastic bucket of the right scraps
is a good swap for some smoked meats if you know someone that does.