Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric chainsaw motor

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 08:28:06 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:50:42 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

...the inconvenience of a long power outage.

Until it's permanent. With the new 200w, you might fare much better
during a 3 month outage if major transformers were blown by a solar
flare, EMP, or terrorists shooting them up and blowing up the mfgr
plant. We have 1000x the required number of potential tangoes in
the
US right now for that, not including ANTIFA or BLM. 60 of them
working together around the country concurrently could take us down
9th century level in hours. It's only expensive until it isn't.
Then
it's a necessity.

I'd actually be more concerned about stray bullets from the 100,000 NH
hunters out chasing the terrorists. Normally we can fire only shotguns
upward, but anyone caught up a utility pole without a truck nearby
would be a rifle target.

Maybe, and only during hunting season.
https://www.google.com/search?q=atta...utf-8&oe=utf-8

The worst is the potential increase in things like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack
References at the bottom, too. An attack from the inside on multiple
points would overload any possibility of rerouting.

The massive bombing of WW2 took over a year to cripple Germany and
Japan, after several years of preparation and difficult lessons.
Commando raids were costly and had relatively little effect unless the
target was unusually vulnerable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid

Yes, I read a time travel book written around that raid. Exciting!

But we're talking about an open, free society who has let an unknown
number of terrorists (+ hundreds of thousands of potential terrorists)
loose in times of "peace" while half of society grumbles if someone
"profiles" them. Not the same at all.

Much of US infrastructure intentionally includes the redundancy to
resist or recover from nuclear attacks, for instance the power grid,
the Internet and phone systems, and the National System of Interstate
and *Defense* Highways. The people who built them had first-hand
experience of how hard it had been to disable Germany.

Redundancy once parts are missing? They're talking about everything
we have, the whole grid, being maxed out right now, Jim. Can you say
"cascading failures"? VERY new portions are hardened, but in the case
of an EMP, the lines act as antennae, gathering the pulse. One on
each north coast would take down a minimum of half the US grid. What
then?

Around here at least the contractors and the town and State road
departments are well equipped with the types of heavy equipment that
originally built the infrastructure. FEMA needs to send only the suits
who evaluate the damage and repair costs.

I'm talking about once they decide to really cripple us. 60 tangoes
at once, all over the US. Most gas pumps would be out, truck supply
would be out

I hear that the South has begun to acquire equipment to deal with
increasingly severe winters.
http://www.myajc.com/news/local/snow...EXKQ51aMGzznK/

Targeted on natural outages, not terrorism. Hmm, in the case of EMP,
or solar flare, are -any- known snow plow electrical systems immune?
Any diesel trucks newer than 20 years immune?

Bottom line: Got Preps?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her