Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Work bench design: Well made?

On 11/13/2017 3:37 PM, Michael wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I822PC9kW7Y

I need a small workbench in my basement where I can do hand tool stuff in the wintertime.

What do you think about the leg design on this bench? It looks pretty good to me to build it as part of the top, but I thought I would check with the experts.

I think I'll make the two side A-Frames with 2X4s, and then make the butcher block for the inside (5' X 3') and glue (and maybe bolt) the three parts together. I don't see the point of all the screws, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

You said small workbench, so I think the one in the video is
significantly over kill.

Assuming small means a small work shop or work area, I think the most
important criteria is light and portable. Obviously strength and
durability are a concern.

I made my work bench on wheels, as my garage is my work shop. It was
designed to be the same height as my table saw. With these two items
moveable, I can arrange my work area to the best configuration for the
job. If I am working on the car, the bench can be moved into a position
relative to the car that is most convenient. If I am using the bench
with the table saw it can become an out feed table saw for ripping or a
staging area when I am cutting a lot of small parts. Since it is
moveable I can work form all four sides of the project or rotate the
whole thing to get the best light and access to the job at hand. When
done with the project everything can be moved against a wall to maximize
the space for the cars.

The bench is constructed of 2 X 4's with all half lapped joints for
maximum strength. The top consist of a half lapped 2 X 4 frame, with a
3/4 inch piece of plywood that is let into the frame with a dodo on all
edges. It has two shelves again with a 2X4 frame half lapped into the
legs, and a 3/4 plywood. The ends are enclosed for storage of jigs,
clamps and small tools. While my brother in law laughed at me because he
thought I should paint it, I sanded and varnished the hole thing. The
hard varnished surface wipes clean, and the vanish does not show stains
and minor damage like paint.

This bench was constructed over 30 years ago and is as strong to day as
it was when I completed it. The 2/4 frame around the top gives a good
3 inch edge for attaching clamps, yet is light.

If you are working on extremely heavy items, or doing a lot of large
layout it may be inadequate but it works for me.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre