Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Work bench design: Well made?

On 11/13/2017 2:37 PM, Michael wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I822PC9kW7Y

I need a small workbench in my basement where I can do hand tool stuff in the wintertime.

What do you think about the leg design on this bench? It looks pretty good to me to build it as part of the top, but I thought I would check with the experts.

I think I'll make the two side A-Frames with 2X4s, and then make the butcher block for the inside (5' X 3') and glue (and maybe bolt) the three parts together. I don't see the point of all the screws, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

I have been seriously woodworking for, um er uh, since I was 23. It's
now 40 years later. Woodworking was first a hobby and currently as a
very small business for the last 20 years. I average 5 pieces of
furniture per year.

I have touched, fondled, and dreamed of just about every type of work
bench out there.

My 3 car garage is my shop and everything is on mobile bases.

The big bench is cool but in my experience even small benches can get in
the way, so being able to move or remove the bench is very important to
me. Many work benches end up being a catch-all.

My next bench will be this one, big but portable and easily stored away
when not in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt77_jugVZs