Posted to alt.home.repair
Oumati Asami Oumati Asami is offline

Default water pressure reducing valve and water pressure regulator

On 13-Nov-17 8:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Oumati Asami, Iggy wrote:
The Engineer's right in his description , but wrong with your device.

No, he's not right in his description. What the poster said was that
the "engineer" said that it works by maintaining a constant, fixed,
reduction amount in output pressure versus input pressure. No matter
if you call it a regulator or a pressure reducing valve, I've never
seen one work that way. They all work by maintaining a constant,
set output pressure that's adjustable.

A reducer that just takes a fixed X PSI off the incoming pressure and
then varies the output up and down as the unregulated side varies
would be pretty worthless. He can verify what he has, just get the
make and go to the manufacturer's website.

I found the make but still need to find out the model number.

I'm not sure the engineer meant a reducer would reduce the water
pressure by a fixed amount. The output pressure would increase when the
input pressure increases but not by the same amount. Let's say the input
pressure is 80 psi and output pressure is set to 50 psi. When the input
pressure is increased to 100 psi (an increase of 20 psi), the output
pressure would be higher than 50 psi but probably not 70 psi.