Posted to alt.home.repair
Oumati Asami Oumati Asami is offline

Default water pressure reducing valve and water pressure regulator

On 12-Nov-17 8:34 PM, Retired wrote:
On 11/12/17 7:40 AM, Oumati Asami wrote:
On my water pipe system, there is this bell shape thing with a bolt on
the top. I always thought it a water pressure regulator.

The other day, the engineer of my community came to check my water
system. He said that thing is not a water pressure regulator but a
water pressure reducer. According to him, a water pressure regulator
is a device that would keep output water pressure constant. If the
outgoing water pressure is set to, say, 50, no matter what the main
pressure is, be it 100, 90, 80, or 70 psi, the output is always 50 psi.

A water pressure reducer, according to him, is a device whose output
pressure is affected by the input pressure. If the main pressure is,
say, 80 psi, and the output pressure is set to 50 psi, when the main
pressure is increased to 100 psi, the output pressure would also
increase.

Does he make sense?

No, according to this maker's article, he has it backwards.

"Even if the supply water pressure fluctuates, the *pressure reducing
valve* ensures a constant flow of water at a functional pressure, as
long as the supply pressure does not drop below the valve's pre-set
pressure."

http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbou...=64#whatiswprv

I read the article. The article says "ensures a constant flow of water
at a functional pressure". I don't know what a "FUNCTIONAL PRESSURE"
means. Is it "constant pressure" or not? That's what I want to know.