Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A Terrell Michael A Terrell is offline

Default Electric chainsaw motor

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:53:13 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 12:43:58 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william.../#104f6b79fc96

What do you think? Are they right?

--
Ed Huntress

William Pentland is a professional agitator.
https://muckrack.com/william-pentland/articles?page=3

Does that mean you disagree that distribution is the problem?

--
Ed Huntress

The storm blew down trees that broke power lines and poles, so in that
sense distribution was a problem. The bucket trucks have a safe wind
limit of 35(??) MPH which the last storm exceeded all the next day,
delaying restoration. The news said a crew could install two poles per
day. One of their anchors took Pole Climbing 101 and demonstrated that
he already has the right job.

A crew had just trimmed the trees near the lines here a week before
but they don't touch trees on private property that are further back.
I did ask.
https://www.eversource.com/Content/g.../tree-trimming

Eversource serves NH, MA and CT but not Maine, so I know nothing of
conditions there. Eversource brings in crews from all over the
Northeast and some from Canada to repair damage quickly, and loans
crews out for their problems. I think I've seen a truck from Ohio.
Smaller independents are slower to restore power.

The crew that restored my power (N. Central Florida) after Irma were
form where I had lived in Ohio. I talked with them for about ten minutes
while they ordered a new 40' pressure treated power pole, and discussed
what had changed in the last 30 years.

They were stunned to learn that I had managed to get their company's
authorization to pole mount a NEMA cabinet with a single 'Heterodyne
Signal Processor' to interconnect the community loops of two different
CATV companies. The design only worked because one system was sub split
(below NTSC Ch 2), and the other was mid split (Between NTSC Chs 6-7).

You needed a minimum of Ch 2 and Ch 13 to set system gain controls.
I fed Ch 2 from 'Metrovision' into our subsplit loop, and converted
their Ch13 forward channel to T10, return channel. At our headend, I
used a pair of additional HSP. One converted T10 to Ch2, to feed to
their headend. The second converted Ch2 to Ch13 for the schools in our
service area. We provided a clean, NTSC analog modulator to a school in
our service area, while Metrovision used the cheapest FM video crap from
Catel. We left the control up to Metrovision. Our side looked as good as
our main CATV system, while anything provided through Metrovision was
smeared.

The design from Metrovison was costed at over $30,000, and was their
excuse for never interfacing with United Video Cablevision.

My design was designed and built for under $3000. It took one NEMA
box, three RCA HSP, and a handful of splitters that were used as
combiners or splitters inside the NEMA box, and two for the headend. I
was chewed out at turn on, because my levels were .25 dB hot at initial
power up.

The NEMA Enclosure was similar to this.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Enclosures_-z-_Subpanels_-z-_Thermal_Management_-z-_Lighting/Enclosures/Padlocking_Enclosures/RHC242408?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product-search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIruHw9fWy1wIVhjyBCh2cWARtE AYYAyABEgLgT_D_BwE