Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 15:09:28 +0000, pamela wrote:

On 14:47 9 Nov 2017, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:02:02 +0000, pamela wrote:

On 18:02 8 Nov 2017, Scott wrote:

Why do people start sentences with conjunctions?

It's alright to do so......

Starting a sentence with "So" is a totally unnecessary and annoying
affectation. If you need a source of interview material overburdened by
guests who respond with this affectation, just watch any of the "Sky at
Night" programmes made during the past decade. You can virtually
guarantee that *every* 'expert's' response to a question will commence
with the word "So,". It's as if all the experts that appear on the
programme are afflicted with a very specific (and rather boring) form
of "Tourettes".

The use of "so" when replying to an interviewer's questions seems
contrived. Like a sort of attempted segue. It seems so widespread that
I wonder if it's a technique they acquire in interview training or from
some guide?

Tragically enough, that's the exact opposite of what such an
interviewing technique coaching guide should propose.

However, I wouldn't call "so" a conjunction.

It so is! For example: "We did it that way so we could get the most
accurate results."

--
Johnny B Good