Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 16:18:01 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/11/17 14:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 12:57:11 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/11/17 12:51, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

In an attempted to trip our 32 amp circuit braker I would have
thought that 5 would have done it, but they didn't.

(5 x 2kW / 240V) ~ 42A, a typical type B 32 amp breaker will supply
north of 45 amps for at least 2.7 hours, possibly for "ever".

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/d/d4/Curve-MCBTypeB.png

Also, did the radiator cycle a lot on its thermostat?

That's what confused me, I assumed that if the LEDs were on with the thermostate set to maxium it'd it would use about 2KW, but I found that it was just 705W.

If I reduced the thermostat knob then the LR+EDs would go off and the consumption dropped to 0w as expected. After letting it cool and turning the thermostat back to full, the LEDs came back on and 1.7KW .

Many oil rads are incapable of losing the heat to the air at a rate that
matches the element rating - so they cycle on and off.

A **** B&Q rad would cycle at about 50%.

I guess this cycle is 1.7KW and 700W , I guess I'm used to cycles going fron zero to full.

700W suggests you had the selector switch on half power (one element out
of two).

Might suggest it but it's not the cae.

fort eh last 2 hours it;s been full on at 705 watts.
If I switch of teh I rocker it;s LED goes out the other II LED remains on and the power drops to 0W, a few mins later I hear a click the same LEDs on and off but the power goes to 1045W.
Switching the I back on power 1734W
Switch II off 702W

So you obviously have this wrong.

It would cycle on and off, not through half power...

but that's not the case it appears as though when fully on for a lenght of time II elements are switched out and the I left on, unless you manually switch it off.