Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 12:57:11 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/11/17 12:51, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

In an attempted to trip our 32 amp circuit braker I would have
thought that 5 would have done it, but they didn't.

(5 x 2kW / 240V) ~ 42A, a typical type B 32 amp breaker will supply
north of 45 amps for at least 2.7 hours, possibly for "ever".

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/d/d4/Curve-MCBTypeB.png

Also, did the radiator cycle a lot on its thermostat?

That's what confused me, I assumed that if the LEDs were on with the thermostate set to maxium it'd it would use about 2KW, but I found that it was just 705W.

If I reduced the thermostat knob then the LR+EDs would go off and the consumption dropped to 0w as expected. After letting it cool and turning the thermostat back to full, the LEDs came back on and 1.7KW .

Many oil rads are incapable of losing the heat to the air at a rate that
matches the element rating - so they cycle on and off.

A **** B&Q rad would cycle at about 50%.

I guess this cycle is 1.7KW and 700W , I guess I'm used to cycles going fron zero to full.

DeLonghi Ventos that I have can more or less maintain full output power
due to a superior fin and air path design.

I have a DeLonghi at home maybe I'll test that too.