Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric chainsaw motor

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 16:02:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:18:06 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

Yup, but they can give you a whole lot more usable power on larger
systems. I intend to expand this 1kW system to 6kW at some time in
the future, so I should probably buy that Outback before more

Oops, I meant MidNite Solar Classic 150-SL @ about the same price.

panels.
So, with the new 100w panel, are you now only up to 145w
(theoretical)?

I have around 200W now and ordered another 200W.

Oh, good. You're inching toward real power, good for something more
than a 5" tv, am/fm radio, or LED lighting.

The limitation on
solar here is large shade trees that cut my air conditioning bill to
$5 a month.

But if you have solar, you can generate your own free electrons. Are
the trees on your lot/cuttable? IMHO, shade is extremely overrated,
except when you want to sit outside in the spring/fall, in which case
you need precisely one tall shrub or small tree. I took down 4 large
trees and I sure don't miss the trouble they caused. I no longer have
trouble mowing and with only 3 trees left (1 constantly shedding
Redwood and 2 deciduous at the property lines, sharing the bounty with
neighbors' fields) I have a metric ****load less raking.

One solar array catches an opening between the trees
before noon, the other after it. I used an extra freestanding HF panel
to find a convenient area for the new panels where I can get power
from 8AM to 2PM though it's not a good spot for a permanent mount.

Just hope you don't have a branch come down and poke through them.
Impermanent placement sucks. Moving things twice daily is a PITA.
What are your future plans mounting and expansion?

After the leaves fall there's sun all day, filtered somewhat by bare
branches. I already have enough solar power to keep my vehicle and
backup batteries topped off but this last storm and run time test
showed how dependent I am on a generator if I can't keep food cold
outdoors.

You'll get enough power on a bright day (in the shade) to top off your
batteries, but even a small amount of real shade kills a full panel's
voltage and current.

That is true of some panels One of the technologies is worse than
the other - ac't remember the terminology - and good panels have
schotky bypass diodes that will allow the panel to produce reduced
voltage instead of going totally off-line when a portion is shaded.

I haven't yet experienced this, but I've seen it
demonstrated often enough in vids on Djutube. Oddly, I wasn't
inclined to fool around with the little HF system. I just installed
it and tested it. But I put in 4 little concrete reinforcements for
the base and another under the batteries, so I guess I was done for
those days. All that research first must have filled the need to play,
measure, and chart.