Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric chainsaw motor

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 19:00:46 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 12:40:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

If it's only affected after a power outage, could the start cap on
the
motor be leaking down?

No, Larry, during an outage I have only the 30A or so max from the
genny to start the motor and that isn't enough to start it under
load.

The way you said it was...curious. "long outage"

This is what that curious-to-you phrase means:
http://www.nh1.com/news/new-hampshir...-in-nh-history
The storm hit on Sunday night and the crews are only now completing
the final restorations.

I ran the fridge on the UPS overnight, then since we hadn't lost power
I checked the run time on the 6 year old batteries, which was still
adequate. The solar panels I have now aren't enough to keep up with
daily demand so I took advantage of Home Depot's sale on "100W" panels
for $99 with free home delivery.

They are Grape Solar polycrystallines which get good enough reviews
that lack technical details. I have the equipment to measure and
record their output and will give them a good checkout, and perhaps
buy an MPPT controller if it makes economic sense. Right now MPPTs
cost about as much as another 100W panel without adding as much output
from a small system. My DPS5015 switching regulator can be used to
find and charge at the maximum power point but it won't track changes
automatically.

When the power is on this house can pull 200A from the grid all day,
the neighborhood was originally wired for electric heat.

Mine was wired that way, too, and I absolutely hated the baseboard
crap. The first thing I did was spend $9,000 to toss the 240v
radiant
heat, put in a 96% efficient gas heater with A/C, pull out the
single
glazed aluminum windows and put in dual-glazed PVC windows, and get
all-new, -efficient- kitchen and washroom appliances. That gave me
2
new dual circuits for 3 new 240v outlets in the shop (seldom used
concurrently), one dual circuit for the new A/C condenser, a circuit
for the furnace, and 3 spare slots.

I left the electric heat intact as an automatic backup for the wood
heat, with new thermostats that can be set below 50F. Heat in the
bathroom is very nice when I've let the house cool below 55F.

The washing machine also won't start on 30A unless I push the
spring-tensioned motor inward to let the belt slip.

Cheater! Get a new washer. I hear they're only 1/4hp now, and
won't
blow a 15a breaker.

My old Dependable Care Maytags are easily modified to wash with water
heated on the wood stove and poured in. I bypassed the water level
control which allows these top loaders to wash with as little water as
a front loader. Water isn't short here but heating it is expensive.
The one I'm using now simply has an added Wash/Spin switch that
reverses the start winding. All I had to do to change the wiring was
rearrange the Fastons.

-jsw