Mike O.

Default Electric Breaker Out of Slots

Arnie Goetchius wrote in message ...
Have a 1500 sqft home (built 1985) with 100 amp service and a load of about 47
amps. We would like to add an electric wall oven (3600 va) which would bring the
load up to 62 amps. The problem is that the breaker box is full. (There are only
16 breaker slots). I know there are side-by-side 15A breakers which take up only
half the space. I would like to put 4 of the existing circuits on the these
side-by-side breakers so I could free up two slots. Once I do that, I can put
in a 240 volt 20 Amp double breaker for the oven.

Question 1: I have seen the side-by-side breakers for Square D but this box is a
Sylvania-Challenger. Are there side-by-side breakers for the Challenger?

Question 2: If not, how much might I expect to pay (very roughly) to have an
electrician (Central NJ) swap out the Challenger for a 20 slot Square D
including the permit, temporary disconnect of power and inspection?

I can't help you with question #1, but here in Westerville, OH, I
upgraded our old Federal Pacific 100A/12 slot panel to a SquareD
200A/40 slot. The cost of the parts, permit, etc. (plus a few new
tools G) was about $500. A neighbor had theirs replaced by a
electrician, total was about $1,300. Of course, the professional did
it in about 1/3 the time (about 3 hours, including re-connection by
the electric co.)

(Before I get flamed, I am NOT trying to imply that the cost of having
an electrican is a rip off or anything. With an electrican, you're
paying for the training, skill, and peace of mind. In my case, I've
worked on this type of thing and similar items, and did a lot of
research, including talking to the building inspector. The local code
allows the homeowner to do the work, even if they're not a licensed
electrican.)

Mike O.