Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Electric chainsaw motor

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 16:37:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
I have a new 3.5hp (I think) "Works" largest 14" chainsaw that I want
to use the motor for a project. I need to know the RPM. I've had no
luck researching this and I no longer have an RPM meter. I imagine
all chainsaws have similar rpm. I need to get the ratios on timing
belt sprockets close to optimal. If this works, you will all be
dazzled by my brilliance!

The question is what is its RPM when producing the power the load
needs. Could you fake the drive with hardware store vee belts and
pulleys to find out?

My collection of pulleys that weren't the right size has helped a lot
on subsequent projects.

I never pass up 25cent pulleys at yard sales, at worst, most come with
a set screw.