Tom Baker

Default flushing cat litter down toilet - should landlord forbid this?

Tom Rodman ] wrote in message ol.net...
I'm a landlord now dealing with problems in a basement floor drain
(Palmer valve) - sewer gas smelling up basement - smell is musty, not
clear what it is but I could convince myself it's like cat/crap cat/litter/.

This is an old single family (Milwaukee WI, 1903), converted into a duplex
from a single family. The upper unit has a good tenant with three cats.

Should I insist that the tenant refrain from flushing *any* of the cat crap or
soiled cat litter down the toilet?

One plumber friend I talked with last night was shocked that cat litter
might be getting into the drain system. His concern was that the litter
might accumulate in the drain pipes, and might require an expensive
repair- cutting out the cast iron pipework to remove the eventual hard
blockage.

Comments?

My direct, personal, long time experience: The litter is clay. We took
out a length of waste pipe and found it half full of cat litter for a
30 foot length.
TB