Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Electric chainsaw motor

On 11/2/2017 10:24 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a new 3.5hp (I think) "Works" largest 14" chainsaw that I want to
use the motor for a project. I need to know the RPM. I've had no luck
researching this and I no longer have an RPM meter. I imagine all
chainsaws have similar rpm. I need to get the ratios on timing belt
sprockets close to optimal. If this works, you will all be dazzled by
my brilliance!

Hard to know from your (lack of) description, but I'll offer warning...

My limited experience with Works tools is that they're near the bottom
for ruggedness.
In general, a cheap hand tool rated at 3.5 HP may deliver that for
short bursts, maybe. It's not designed for ANY continuous duty,
at any power level.

Again, my limited experience with electric chainsaws and related
devices is that the universal motors with brushes fail because
the brush overheats and melts the plastic, yes, the brush holders
are typically plastic. It seems to be working fine, but the next time
you turn it on, the plastic has hardened around the brush and it's stuck.
You can often take it apart and free it up. It will work for a while
until it freezes up again.

I'd not put a lot of time or $$ into a project based on a Worx motor.