Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Electric chainsaw motor

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 13:24:25 -0400
Tom Gardner wrote:

I have a new 3.5hp (I think) "Works" largest 14" chainsaw that I want to
use the motor for a project. I need to know the RPM. I've had no luck
researching this and I no longer have an RPM meter. I imagine all
chainsaws have similar rpm. I need to get the ratios on timing belt
sprockets close to optimal. If this works, you will all be dazzled by
my brilliance!

Affix something to the chain that sticks out a little. Now make another
attachment or hold something close by that will hit it. Like the old
clothespin, playing card and bicycle spokes. Turn it on and record the
sound. Use something like Audacity to measure the frequency. Viola!

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b