Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand Reaming and Drilling - REVISITED

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 08:50:22 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:56:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Some time ago I made a couple carbide scribes by pressing broken 1/8" shank
end mills into a hole in the end of a piece of aluminum rod. Then I ground
a conical point on the piece of carbide,and knurled the rod. I use them all
the time. For the 1/8" drill bit, and the 1/16" drill bit I use all the
time on the tackle making bench I can just make some more aluminum rods like
the ones I used for the scribes and add a set screw to make the bits
replaceable.

I've got maybe a dozen made up using 7/16 aluminum rod. Double ended
with a 5/16 hole slightly offset to maximize wall thickness for the set
screw threads. Went with 8-32 threads and using headed screws
for now. May someday I'll replace them with set screws, if I find the
right deal. Shipping is a killer on stuff like that.

What, you don't have a local hardware store???? shear stupidity to
online-order stuff like a couple of setscrews. No hardware store? do a
bit of scrounging. They are used in all kinds of "junk"

Just ground a flat
down one side to stop them from rolling around.

You can bang them out pretty quick on a lathe. Drilling, tapping the
set screw is the slow part...

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/handle.jpeg