Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand Reaming and Drilling - REVISITED

I was busy scribing off a piece of sheet metal for cutting and bending when
it occurred to me I was WAAAAAAAAY over thinking the problem. Sure the
little pin vises with a decent knob of handle will still be useful, but I
don't need near as many as I was thinking. There in my hand was the
solution to all the sizes I wanted to just leave chucked up.

Some time ago I made a couple carbide scribes by pressing broken 1/8" shank
end mills into a hole in the end of a piece of aluminum rod. Then I ground
a conical point on the piece of carbide,and knurled the rod. I use them all
the time. For the 1/8" drill bit, and the 1/16" drill bit I use all the
time on the tackle making bench I can just make some more aluminum rods like
the ones I used for the scribes and add a set screw to make the bits
replaceable.

Yeah a couple pin vises with tiny chucks would still be handy, but not as
many as I was thinking. Cost... well I do sometimes find myself standing
around watching machine run. I have lots of aluminum scrap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:56:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Some time ago I made a couple carbide scribes by pressing broken 1/8" shank
end mills into a hole in the end of a piece of aluminum rod. Then I ground
a conical point on the piece of carbide,and knurled the rod. I use them all
the time. For the 1/8" drill bit, and the 1/16" drill bit I use all the
time on the tackle making bench I can just make some more aluminum rods like
the ones I used for the scribes and add a set screw to make the bits
replaceable.

I've got maybe a dozen made up using 7/16 aluminum rod. Double ended
with a 5/16 hole slightly offset to maximize wall thickness for the set
screw threads. Went with 8-32 threads and using headed screws
for now. May someday I'll replace them with set screws, if I find the
right deal. Shipping is a killer on stuff like that. Just ground a flat
down one side to stop them from rolling around.

You can bang them out pretty quick on a lathe. Drilling, tapping the
set screw is the slow part...

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/handle.jpeg

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 08:50:22 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:56:45 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Some time ago I made a couple carbide scribes by pressing broken 1/8" shank
end mills into a hole in the end of a piece of aluminum rod. Then I ground
a conical point on the piece of carbide,and knurled the rod. I use them all
the time. For the 1/8" drill bit, and the 1/16" drill bit I use all the
time on the tackle making bench I can just make some more aluminum rods like
the ones I used for the scribes and add a set screw to make the bits
replaceable.

I've got maybe a dozen made up using 7/16 aluminum rod. Double ended
with a 5/16 hole slightly offset to maximize wall thickness for the set
screw threads. Went with 8-32 threads and using headed screws
for now. May someday I'll replace them with set screws, if I find the
right deal. Shipping is a killer on stuff like that.

What, you don't have a local hardware store???? shear stupidity to
online-order stuff like a couple of setscrews. No hardware store? do a
bit of scrounging. They are used in all kinds of "junk"

Just ground a flat
down one side to stop them from rolling around.

You can bang them out pretty quick on a lathe. Drilling, tapping the
set screw is the slow part...

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/handle.jpeg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 11:02:21 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I have the great advantage of having a decent nut and bolt vendor just
a couple miles from my shop. I buy boxes of small pieces for less than you
can buy a bag with half a dozen units at the big box hardware store, and
they can get just about anything for me. Even those tiny little grub screws
that hold encoder discs to servo and stepper motor shafts.

Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow... salt in my wound, quit rubbing it in

McMaster had a fair deal on them but for shipping. I'll need something
from them one of these days and I'll order some or I'll spot them
elsewhere. No rush in the mean time...

When I was still working there was a vendor next door that had cool
stuff. Picked up odd stainless steel hardware and other goofy stuff
from him. He was just doing me and my employer a favor, knew we were
next door. Miss those kind of relationships nowadays...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b